what is this plant??

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Peperomia, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

I have bought this plant recently and has no name tag. What is this? My grandma says its A. costatum but I'm not really sure! Please help me!

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Always listen to Grandma! :-) I think she's right. Aglaonema costatum

3. Peperomia

Peperomia Active Member

Yup she is right I've searched in google and many pictures look exactly like my plant. It says it likes low light and grows slowly.

4. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

Also known commonly as Chinese Evergreen. The mostly green ones grow faster than some of those with large amounts of white variegation, and they can make a very nice, bushy big potful. They will tolerate low light, but brighter light will help speed up growth. No direct sun, mind, just brighter light. Lots of plants that will tolerate low light conditions do not necessarily 'need' that low light, it's just that it won't kill them. Given better light, many of them grow and look better than they would in low light. Many of the tropicals we grow in North America are understory plants from the rainforest, and in native habitat, they are most definitely low light plants. But low light where they come from is quite different from being in a home, behind glass windows, and much farther north. Depending on the direction of the light exposure, how far from the window they are, presence of curtains or blinds, trees or other obstructions outside the window, some homes have hardly any light at all from the point of view of a plant. That some will still grow in these conditions I think is quite remarkable.