Identification: What is this plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Well, my son brought me home a plant from school, he said it was a marigold. IT'S NOT! I have no idea what it is. I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures, but I'll describe it for you.
    It has grown very tall, Two stems. Leaves grow directly out of the stem, one on each side, they seem to connect to each other around the stem. The leaves are smooth on their edges and seem to maintain a equal width until their ends, when the come in to form a somewhat rounded point. As it got to be around a foot and a half tall, it grew flowers at the very top and they do seem to look like marigolds, sort of. One flower is white with a orange/yellow center and the other flower is all orange/yellow in color. In the past few days, branches have started coming out near the top of the plant and are growing flowers at their ends.
    It's a pretty neat plant and I'd love to know exactly what it is, if anyone could help. Right now it's growing in a pot, in the house. I'm not sure if I should keep it inside or plant it outside. It's stems are very sturdy. Please help.

2. Hi sounds like a variety of african marigold (Giant marigold) a lot of schools grow them in class as the nastursom (SP:)) is not as intersting.

I maybe way off base and a pic would be good

3. reply

I checked out the african marigold, that's not it. The leaves on my plant are a lot bigger and more rounded.
    Thanks anyway, I'm going to keep searching. This plant has grown another 4-5 inches since I posted my message, it's crazy!

4. zinnia?

I think I've figured it out. I believe the plant is a zinnia. From what I can tell from pictues on the web, I've got myself a zinnia.