Weeping willow root question

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Woodenwonder, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Woodenwonder

Woodenwonder Member

This is my first time posting a question here, and I would apprieciate any help. Here goes. I planted a weeping willow tree this spring in my front/side yard. I have since discoved that a water line runs about 7 feet from where I planted it.
    Now I know about weeping willows invasive root system, but would rather not move the tree, It's in the perfect spot.
    A friend of mine who works for the water company looked up the water line records a told me it an 8" diameter ductile iron type pipe.
    I have heard the the new plastic pipes are safe from tree roots. But I was wondering if ductile iron pipe was safe also? If anyone has had a experiance with roots getting in a ductile iron pipe, please tell me about it.

Gary

p.s. sorry about the bad spelling, I can't get the spell check to work.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What kind of weeping willow? Some grow huge, others do not.

3. Woodenwonder

Woodenwonder Member

I believe it to be the classic salix babylonica.

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

An important consideration for your water pipe and the roots, it is the pipe in good condition or is it cracked and worn. The roots wouldn't 'know' to grow into the pipe, if the pipe was water, unless it was leaking somewhere. I believe there are inspection companies with cameras that inspect pipes but I guess you'd have to shut off the water and drain the pipe to get inside it.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many Salix babylonica, which is not hardy in the north are actually hybrids rather than the pure species. Either way you will end up with a large, vigorous tree. Plant well away from buildings and utilities.

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

8" is a pretty big pipe.

That's not pressurized with water is it? Is it just for drainage or something else?