Weeds, what would you do?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Buddleia, Jul 5, 2009.

1. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Yes, mint would spell bad news when grown in a yard. Some of us like the mint, but when it comes down to "the perfect lawn" others hate it. Some people have used mint in areas where grass wont grow - under a trampoline, at the edge of a yard sloping down to a creek, etc., but when it comes to making a yard into a mint field, it's usually not advisable.

2. Buddleia

Buddleia Active Member 10 Years

Eldumas, I don't want to tick anyone off that's for sure. But if the neighbours have Weedman come to chemically spray do you think they will really care or even notice?

It's strange isn't it, the different attitudes? I feel like I'm living with the Neanderthals sometimes.

3. cindys

cindys Active Member

Ok...here is the clover lawn as it looks today. I took the first shot from about my knee height. For the second one, I set the camera on the bed of stones and took it at that level so you can get a better idea of the height.

For my own situation, I really like my clover. I plan on sprinkling some clover seed over the front yard as well...in the old days, clover actually was part of lawns, but weed killers kill it along with the bad weeds. Clover adds nitrogen to the soil, looks nice and green, and does eliminate evil weeds like buttercup.

Attached Files:

4. Buddleia

Cindys, I could see that in the back but it might take a while for me to get used to that in the front. Maybe if it was mowed shorter? The clover that grows in the lawn is usually flatter than the Dutch white, are they the same type of clover I wonder?
    I made a terrible discovery today, I called the lawn care companies and they cannot use chemicals, it's only golf courses that can use it. I'm afraid they told me that I should either mechanically remove the weeds or start over - news I already got here first. I guess I will be shopping for a weeding tool for the weekend...... I'll give it a go because I really don't want to invest in new sod, it's a bad time of year to do it right now and it just seems like throwing money down the drain if I can't keep it looking pristine all the time.

5. Buddleia

Sherrie, I bought something like you posted from Canadian Tire but it doesn't appear to work unless I'm not using it properly. It doesn't really remove the entire dandelion and it's supposed to, maybe mine have gotten too big?