Weeds, Weeds and MORE Weeds

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by David S VG, Feb 25, 2011.

1. David S VG

David S VG Member

Firstly let me say "Thank you Daniel for your timely response".

Now for the weeds, I have about four acres of pasture land that are going to be turned into garden this spring, problem is that it is covered in weeds of every color, stripe or political affiliation known to man. Mostly it's Quack Grass, Canada Thistle, Burdock and the ever present Nodding Thistles the size of middle aged redwoods all bedecked in their summer finery with massive blooms of mauve.

The Nodding Thistles being bi-annuals can be dealt with by using a tiller, a chainsaw, a flame thrower plus High explosives, the others due to the fragmentation issues not so much. What I would like to know is "How do I rid myself of these infernal weeds without resorting to thermonuclear Politics. And Please don't say ROUNDUP as in these parts Monsanto's pet poison has no effect whatsoever on anything except the environment and keep in mind that this former pasture land is for a garden so I'm somewhat loathe to use herbicides of any kind.

Thanks in advance and please help me "Giter done" .

David

2. Vdunne1952

Vdunne1952 Active Member

If you don't want to use chemicals (I would), your answer is similar to that of of selling a house, ie. location, location and location, only in your case, it is 'rotovation, rotovation, rotovation .... and then some more rotovation.

3. LilyISay

LilyISay Active Member

Well, Thistle really hates vinegar, especially when young and tender- it's a great general purpose herbicide if you don't mind killing everything. Use pickling vinegar and concentrate it with freeze evaporation for best effect. 30% acetic acid is the best but even regular vinegar has some effect, best on emerging seedlings.

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

I don't think you will kill established weeds organically without tilling or heavy machinery, and you'll need a mighty tiller/plow to get through the thistle roots even if you burn them first. I'd burn/till the land, and then hit the surviving/resprouting weeds with horticultural vinegar (20%+ acetic acid). This might take a year to do.