Vervet Monkeys

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by TracyN, Apr 5, 2008.

1. TracyN

TracyN Member

I am aware that there are certain plants that can been used to dissuade certain pests. I have not heard about any that are effective against monkeys. We have a large troupe that live in our area. I have no problem with them passing through, but get a tad annoyed when they forget that my garden is MY garden! Pretty much sure I am fighting a losing battle, given that I am not prepared to perpetuate physical violence, but if anyone knows of more subtle methods to convince them by smell / taste that our garden is not a good area to visit, I would be most appreciative.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

You are absolutely losing the battle. About the only thing I've ever had that monkeys WON'T eat is Nerium oleander, but they just go through it and eat the rest of the garden anyhoo.

HOWEVER. If you can talk to a local zoo or game park that has large cats or other things that would normally eat your monkeys, you can ask them for some spoors. The smell should repel them, at least while the spoors are fresh.

You can also investigate frequency-based (ie ultrasonic) repellant devices; I'm sure they've found something that monkeys hate. Works great here on critters up to the size of large bats, so it's worth looking into.

Alternatively, you can net over your whole garden in, say, chain-link fencing material, but this also keeps birds out.

Edit - I'm talking of course about Squirrel Monkeys and Spider Monkeys; they're the common endemics down here. Vervets may respond if you get a big dog; my friend in the deep jungle swears by his mastiff to keep everything but the howlers out of his veggie patches.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  3. Love4Bugs

Love4Bugs Active Member

I know absolutely nothing about keeping out monkeys, but I have a little experience keeping out other animals. Tactics we've used include rubber snakes (rearrange them often), artificial owls or other large birds, extremely strong smelling soap (takes a lot of bars thought), and of course electric fencing. The best of of luck to you!!!