British Columbia: Vancouver Swap : Oct 18 09 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by tiger_lily, Sep 18, 2009.

1. forestlover

forestlover Member

Re: Vancouver Swap : Oct 18 - Discussion

I've added some more plants for the swap on the my trade-list, here -
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=228311#post228311

I've been trying not to be tempted to bring home more plants for the time being. But I seem to covet some plants that Lily's offering :D

Lily - I've got these plants for you:

Artemisia lactiflora 'Guizhou'
    Ligularia przewalskii
    Saxifraga stolonifera

And I seem to recall that awhile back you also expressed an interest in:

Campanula poscharskyana
    Dryopteris expansa

Is that right? I'll bring them along if you still want them.

Lily - I'm interested in your:

Petasites frigidus - I've been looking for this one for years
    Black Mondo Grass (only if you can find it)
    Osteospermum - the hardy purple one

2. forestlover

forestlover Member

Wanted -

Narrow Beech Fern (Thelypteris phegopteris) - Does anybody have this native BC fern? (also called Northern Beech fern).

Attached Files:

3. Eve von Paradis

Eve von Paradis Active Member

Hello,

So I've got the creeping thyme for you, Tiger Lily.

And Gardeningfever, I've got a few raspberry canes, an alpine strawberry plant (non-running), an everbearing strawberry, and I managed to dig out the rootball of the thornless blackberry shrub. :)

I will be bringing some bundles of Lavender Grosso wands to barter with plants with whomever who be willing to do so. ;)

According to the weatherperson, we may see some sun this Sunday! And if it rains, we Vancouverite-gardeners are not unaccustomed to gardening in the rain. :)

4. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Lily, I'll bring some snacks so we can all munch and chat.

5. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Wow, eve thanks, I'll bring the huechera for you. is there anything else of mine you're interested in?

Thanks, Karen.

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Candy, I can bring some hostas for your friend Abby as they are definitely low maintenance, and maybe some others if I get them dug up - does she have sun or shade, and damp or dry conditions? And how much space are we talking? Basically all the plants I've listed are available - actually I'll add some more today and remove what's been spoken for. Bread would be a lovely exchange item but I would somewhat hesitate to accept jewelry in exchange - plants are too ephemeral to trade for something so concrete! But she knows best what has equivalent value to her.

Lily, the hellebores I have ready are seedlings, so they are a bit unpredictable colour-wise, not to mention small, of course. I spent some time yesterday potting them up and so can say with certainty that I have seedlings of Helleborus corsicus, and of three Helleborus orientalis hybrids - a single flowered yellow, a double-flowered yellow, and a peach-coloured one. And I potted up LOTS so everyone will be offered some :-)

Oh, and I'll bring snacks and juice too.

7. KarinL

Lily, did you say you wanted Acanthus mollis (bear's breeches?) I have some of this plant that is still trying to grow from where I dug it up and then put a raised bed on top, so can get pieces but I'm not sure I can get rooted pieces. My experience should be a warning... this plant should not really be put in the ground. It never quits!

8. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Ladies, i also have 2 large rhodies that need a home - 6-7ft tall. I won't be able to take them out and bring them but if there is interest i'll bring photos of them so you can see the shape. I've also never seen the blooms as we're just moving into this place with the rhodies. i like them but i think i like other things more.

9. Candy

Candy Active Member

Hi TigerLily,
    Besides woolly & m.c. thyme, I have a bit of Corsican Mint I can pot for you as well, some blue star creeper, & some irish moss.

My experience has been if you plant woolly thyme near the other groundcovers, it will overtake them. I've been defending the corsican mint and lemon thyme against the woolly and magic carpet thyme for a couple of years, and finally put the woolly and magic into a separate area.

10. Candy

Candy Active Member

My friend Abby has mostly sun (since we removed some overgrown trees); decent soil, and she'll water as needed.

She has a 4' wide border and needs to fill about 15' in length. Thanks for the offers.

11. forestlover

forestlover Member

To Eve von Paradis -

Did you say you'll be bringing bundles of Lavender Grosso wands to barter for plants?

I love lavender, but can't grow it at my place. Too much shade.

Do you see any plants on my list that you'd like in exchange for a lavender wand or two?
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=228311#post228311

Snacks -

I'll bring some snacks along as well.

12. Eve von Paradis

Hello Forest Lover,

Yes, I'll be bringing some Lavender grosso for barter. :) I'm unfamiliar with many of the plants you have listed, but would certainly be open to suggestions as I have 2 areas in my garden I will be turning into flowerbeds next year. Because of the layout, I get a range of sun to shade. In particular, I'm battling buttercups (sigh, yes the creeping Death; She who smothers all in her path as gold shimmers in her beautiful yellow cups! I swear I may start a thread soon just devoted to her!!)

I think I would like some Sweet cicely, please. Thanks!

13. Eve von Paradis

Hello Gardening Fever,

I would like your daylilies and asters.

Has anyone expressed any interests in your Rhodos? It would be great if you could bring some pics. As for the colour of the flowers, are those bushes visible to any of your neighbours? Perhaps, some of them have seen them in bloom and could tell you what colours they are?

Thank you.

14. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Hi Eve,

sure i'll bring some daylilies and asters.

no one has epxressed interest in the rhodies. i will take a quick pic for you. If i see my neighbours tomorrow i will ask them but there is quite a bit of other plant material the obscures them from their view. Hopefully someone might have noticed. I actually had asked one of the tenants before she moved out and she had no idea - didn't even notice - but I think they were into other types of plant material; the type that goes up in smoke. ;)

15. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

A little late to the discussion, but I am here now! :-) Thanks Karin for the email reminding me. I'm going to try and make it on Sunday. I have lots of stuff already in pots...I just need to make a list. I also have some seeds (for the first time) from my Chinese Flame Tree (will try to find the latin name).

Cheers,

Katherine

16. gardeningfever

gardeningfever Member

Hi Katherine! It'd be great to see you again.

Karen.

17. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

KarinL - Your Ligularia Britt-Marie Crawford and Porteranthus trifoliata would be welcome in my garden, if nobody else speaks for them. Please let me know which of my offerings interest you.

18. KarinL

Lily,

I'll have those for you, and maybe I can decide on what to trade them for on the day - given that we're at your place!

Forestlover, I have a Thelypteris but not that one; I have T. decursive-pinnata.

Karin

19. Eve von Paradis

Hello Gardening Fever,

Thanks!!
    It'll be great if you give take a pic of it. Thanks again!

Eve

20. tiger_lily

Katherine (westcoastgarden) - I would think Aegopodium podagraria ‘Variegatum’ would be fine in dry shade, even under cedars. It is very aggressive. Would you be interested? I've been trying to remove it for years, so I could likely find some pieces if I tried. Let me know.

21. westcoastgarden

Thanks Lily, but that stuff is the bane of my life in the front garden. I can't imagine deliberately planting it anywhere :-(

22. westcoastgarden

It looks like one that grows in my garden. I'll bring it just in case.

Katherine

23. tiger_lily

Katherine - So wise. I'd agree. I never intentionally planted mine, I think it came mixed in with the roots of another plant, and I should have been more aggressive when I first spotted it.

24. forestlover

forestlover Member

To Karin -

About the Thelypteris decursive-pinnata. Are you offering one for trade? If yes, what would you like for it.

Would you be interested in Adiantum venustum? It easily survived the -15 weather we had last winter. It's a slow creeper and one of my favourite plants in the garden.

Does anything else on my trade list interest you?

To Katherine -

If you have a Narrow Beech fern, or similar available, yes please, bring it along.

I'm also interested in some of your little light green Japanese Maples, specifically ones with slight red edging. Can you save some for me?

Do you see anything on my list that you'd like?

You mentioned that you need plants for very dry shade, for under cedars. I highly recommend Stylophorum lasiocarpum (Chinese Celadine Poppy) and Chelidonium majus flore pleno (Double Greater Celadine). They thrive very nicely at our place, in extremely dry, shady conditions, under mature conifer trees.

I'll bring some along tomorrow, just in case.

Seeds -

I'll bring some seeds along as well.

25. KarinL

Hi forestlover,

Sure, I'll bring you a piece - but do keep in mind I think it's a wanderer. You had a fern listed... D. expansa? that I don't think I have, so if you have one dug up I'd take it. don't dig - it's getting a little late for that! I don't mind taking future considerations in exchange!