Appreciation: Vaccinium high antioxident plants - Brian Minter article

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by wcutler, Jan 30, 2021.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

In the article, Brian Minter mentions "a huckleberry variety called ‘Thunderbird’ [that] is the product of a former plant introduction program from the University of British Columbia."

I wrote this post in the forums almost 2 years ago:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your mention of Genista pilosa 'Vancouver Gold' reminded me of the plant introduction program at the UBC Botanical Gardens in the 1980s. Arctostaphylos uva-ursi 'Vancouver Jade' and Rubus calycinoides 'Emerald Carpet' also originated there. I would like to read more about the program but can't find much online .
    I remember Wilf Nicholls was involved. What I did find was on this forum.

If anyone can tell me where to read more about the UBC Botanical Garden plant introduction program, please let me know.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I still think that was a brilliant concept and regret that it did not continue. I'm sure it was an expensive business. Wilf Nicholls left UBC for Memorial University in Newfoundland of course . . . I remember being at a lecture he gave where he described scouring the province looking for superior examples of various native plants and then growing them at the university until the best of the best could be isolated and propagated for commercial sales. The Vaccinium ovatum 'Thunderbird' Brian mentioned would have originated that way.
    Nicholls named new director of State Botanical Garden - UGA Today

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wilf has returned to BC, he might be convinced to start back on the lecture circuit -- not sure!

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That would be fantastic if he did!