Identification: Unknown Growth on Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Zaraf, May 15, 2013.

1. Zaraf

Zaraf New Member

Hello,

I'm not much of a plant person. I have no idea what kind of tree I have in my backyard, but I noticed some weird growth on a few branches. I've attached some pictures of it. Does anyone know what that is? Is it something ok or something bad?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This looks like the late stages of bacterial canker that frequently affects plum and cherry trees. The tree looks like it might be a choke cherry, which is native to Alberta. The best remedy is to cut off the infected limb at least 15 cm below the lowest visible damage.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Liable to be black knot fungus, which is currently being asked about repeatedly.

4. Zaraf

Zaraf New Member

Thanks for your help!

So I should just cut off those limbs?

5. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Yes. Remove them farther back from the infection then send the branches to the dump and sanitize your saw.

These Prunus tree infections blow in the wind. There's no way to control it other than removing branches and keeping things sanitary.

There would be nothing you could do in Burnaby even if there was a magic potion spray. You have a ban on all pesticides.

In case you're interested, remove the branches using the "three point pruning method". Google it.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

David, as far as I know, Burnaby only bans the use of cosmetic pesticides, basically herbicides used for lawn beautification. I'm not aware of any bans on fungicides or insecticides. You can still spray your trees with oil and lime sulfur to help control fungal or bacterial infections, although I agree that watching for and pruning out infections is the best control.

7. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Thanks for that. Perhaps they can spray that on their tree next winter before bud burst.