Identification: Under moss Fungi- Smaller than a golf ball

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Yvonjovi, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Yvonjovi

Yvonjovi New Member

My dog dug up a patch of moss in a yard to chew on a small round solid white fungi underneath (same texture as a regular white mushroom from the store).
    He chewed on the top only and was terribly ill.
    Anyone know what this is?
    Very specific location, under the moss and shows no usual stem or gills, is a solid white ball, only one.
    Thank-you for any information!

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi @Yvonjovi - I'm sorry to hear that your dog is ill ... am hoping the "was" means that he is better now?

If instead however this is an acute and ongoing situation, please consider contacting a veterinarian for input on treatment options.
    - Treatments depend in many cases on the mushroom ID but they will also check in with you about other possible illness causes.
    - Let me know as I can provide other resource info.

This photo does not show enough detail to ID this. If you can add more photos showing close up all angles and in better light (natural daytime light is often best) that should help: Please include
    an underside shot of the cap (if it has a cap) as this is important for many IDs. You mention round and solid: Please cut in half lengthwise and photo the interior, in case this is an Amanita button, some of which can have delayed poison reactions.

Thank you for including habitat (household yard) as that can help narrow possibilities.

-frog

allelopath likes this.
  3. Frog

allelopath likes this.
  4. Yvonjovi

Yvonjovi New Member

Returning to the site to see what's under the moss. I looked through a good mushroom book but really cannot ID this:
    the mature cap is 3-4" wide, 4" high, opens creating a depression in the top centre. It emerges singularly not in clusters or groupings, white- beige in colour.
    I think the photos are showing these things.
    1st and 2nd photo: what was found in dug up moss, just the 'egg' without stem or cap
    3rd photo: immature fungi cap above the moss
    4rd photo: immature fungi stem exposed under the moss
    5th photo: immature fungi whole
    6th photo: mature fungi cut cap to stem
    7th photo: mature fungi cap top view
    8th photo: mature fungi stem under view exposing gills and stem texture
    9th photo: show the area of moss with surrounding trees, cedar, fir, maple

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

It certainly looks like an Amanita to me, but you will need a response from someone like Frog for an actual ID.

6. Frog

This is an Amanita in section Amanita. So far this looks like a member of the Amanita gemmata group. It seems pale for Amanita pantherinoides but that should be included as a possibility (given the ingestion) as we do have paler forms here.

Letting the vet know that this is an Amanita should be helpful: Different poison groups require different treatment approaches.

Mushroom Poisonings in Dogs and Cats - North American Mycological Association
    Mushroom Poisoning Syndromes - North American Mycological Association

7. Frog

Adding ... just consulted one of local Amanita / poisons experts, and he noted that while it is hard to tell what photo #1 and #2 are, the others look like gemmata group.

8. Yvonjovi

Yvonjovi New Member

The first two photos were the bulb that was found without the stem and cap. I started there and worked my way around the moss to look for evidence. Pooch has recovered from the incident. It was a swift stomach upset with sounds from my dog that I never wish to hear again.
    Today, all is well.
    I cannot thank-you enough for helping me with this. I am noticing fungi now and found some beauties growing out of a log!
    Turning the page while enjoying a new perspective of what's around my feet.
    Ending on a high note with a colourful photo!
    Kind regards

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.