Um...banana

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Junglekeeper, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

shrub, that is! The buds of my Michelia/Magnolia figo have opened to release their wonderful fragrance. Is yours blooming yet, jimmyq? Are there other fans of this plant here in these forums?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

nope, not yet. I put it back outside (I try to keep it overwinter in the sunniest living room window which isnt terribly sunny) after the cold snap we had in Jan/Feb. it is budded and the leaves seem happy. probably a few weeks at least. isnt the smell great? too bad we can have Emerils "smell O vision" over the internet, would be one worth sharing I think.

3. Junglekeeper

You had yours indoors? Did it suffer any leaf loss? Did you have to take any special precautions?

The plant that I have is last year's survivor from my experiment to find the right growing conditions. It's not in the greatest condition. I might pick up a nicer one this year.

There appears to be subtle differences in M. figo specimens depending on the source. Some have more delicate leaves and smoother, lighter bark. Some are more fragrant than others. Many years ago, Mandeville gardens had some that came from the states that smelled like turpentine - yuck.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I put it in the living room, right next to the sliding door for a couple three weeks over January when it was chilly out. it is still in the 1 gallon pot and mine came direct from Piroche Plants (pitt meadows wholesaler). It did drop a few leaves and there was some yellowing, I dont think it likes it in side but if it knew how chilly it was outside it wouldnt have complained as much I dont think.

5. dandy

dandy Member

Does anyone have the correct web page address for Piroche Plants. I recently purchased a cornus omeiense and Manglietia insignis from, of all places, Canadian Tire, and would like more information on the plants.

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

It is www.pirocheplants.com

I just tried to log on however and was unable to. I called the company and they verified that url. So if you cannot access the website right now, try later.

(Oh, um... OK banana shrub. I was going to say banana is not a woody plant.)

7. Junglekeeper

The site's still down. I copy/pasted the information from their catalog:
    Code:
    Manglietia insignis ( syn Magnolia insignis)
    (Red Lotus Tree)
    WILD DRAGONâ„¢ SERIES
    H:7-15m Z:7
    L/U: solitary
    Large, evergreen, magnolia-like tree with long,
    leathery, glossy-green leaves and fragrant, creamy-white,
    terminal flowers with reddish-pink, outer
    petals in May-June followed by dark, purple-red,
    elongated fruit. Prefers full sun to partial shade.
    Selected and introduced by Piroche Plants, 1993.
    (Southern/Southwestern China)
    Eric, this thread should be in the Magnolia forum.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Moved. Thanks Junglekeeper.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A banana shrub has grown outdoors for years in the Montlake neighborhood of Seattle. See the web site of Arthur Lee Jacobson for photo and discussion.

Magnolia (Manglietia) insignis was in Western cultivation by 1934. One in Berkeley, CA, planted in 1981 was 24' tall by 1993.

Cornus capitata ssp. emeiensis has made 2 shapely, full, heavily budded specimens at Seattle University. All others I have seen down here have not been impressive.