Tropic Snow Draceana

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nicole0426, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

What is wrong with my plant? I have had it for about 2 years. The three big leaves were last year's growth. The small curled leaf is from this summer but it doesn't look healthy. All of my other draceana's are doing wonderful! But I just can't get this one to thrive. Is this variety typically slow growing or am I doing something wrong? I give it distilled water about once every 7 to 10 days. I do try to let it dry out a bit to prevent root rot. Currently it is in the west facing window. I also have had it by a south facing window. What can I do differently so that it grows better?

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hi Nicole. It looks like your plant is a Dieffenbachia, not a Dracaena. If those other plants around it seem to be getting enough light and are not leggy and reaching for the light, then it should be getting plenty also. The inner pot looks too small for that size plant. Many bigger-leaved plants will start producing smaller leaves once they fill the pot and start receiving a reduced amount of nutrients. So I would recommend repotting and also starting a regular fertilizer regime.

Dieffebachia like to always have have lightly moist (not soggy wet) soil and never fully dry out all the way down in the pot, but they are also susceptible to overwatering and rotting. So the typical care guides on the internet assume you have typical cheap soil and recommend to let it dry down a couple inches in the pot, which leaves you with a very small window to water where it won't get too dry and stunt the plant. So now that you are repotting, get either a very high-quality, high-porosity soil that allows more air to the roots while still holding plenty of water, or make one by adding lots of drainage material like perlite or pumice (up to almost equal parts drainage material to basic potting soil). You can get great high-porosity soils at any hydroponics store. Colorado should have those in almost every town.

Fertilizing will also be important for these to keep getting bigger, healthier leaves. I like Dyna-Gro's Foliage Pro at 1/4 tsp/gal every watering. Unless you have very bad water, these usually do fine with tap water.

3. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

Sorry, yes of course it's a diffenbachia. I knew that! I must of had draceana on the brain for some reason. Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try those things.

4. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

I transplanted this plant back in August and that sure did the trick. It really took off! However, I just noticed these spots today :/ The plant is still in the west facing window but it is by the baseboard heat. Could that be the problem? Or is it a disease spot thing?

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Nicole, my first thoughts are not enough light and too much water. IMO it is a fungal problem caused by this.

6. Nicole0426

Nicole0426 Active Member

It is by a big picture window and I only water when the soil is dry. I have been running the humidifier and the plant is around several other plants that would increase the humidity around it. So you think its a type of fungal spot?

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

White spot is a common fungal infection, so I would remove the infected leaves and spray the whole plant with an indoor plant fungacide.