Trees in vancouver that shed their bark

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bighes, Jun 1, 2009.

1. bighes

bighes Member

I'm trying to find out the name of the trees whose branches arc up like a candelabra and that shed their bark (happening now). they line 10th avenue between Macdonald and Alma and blocks of them are found on Heather and on Laurel south of 16th.

thanks!

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I don't have my copy of GB Straley's Trees of Vancouver with me at the moment. That book probably identifies the trees on that street - or you could call the Vancouver Park Board arborists. I had heard that like the challenge of naming street trees from memory. I think London plane trees Pseudoplatanus acerifolia line 10th Avenue west of MacDonald. They do have interesting bark that peels off in plaques. I don't remember them as having candelabra branching though.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Make that Platanus x hispanica (P. x acerifolia). You have the botanical name confused with that of sycamore maple (Acer pseudoplatanus).

4. honolua

honolua Active Member

They are london planes and they do shed bark, which kills grass seed below, and forces your allergies to go into overdrive. Not the best trees for boulevards, but they are there. Some have been nicely pruned and do provide nice shade. Some have been pruned to accommodate hydro lines running along 10th etc....they look so sad.

Cheers,

5. bighes

bighes Member

thanks, everyone - I'll accept London trees as the answer! i even had someone tell me they were Tulip trees.