Tree/Shrub identity

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by MiniBot, May 21, 2014.

1. MiniBot

MiniBot Member

Hello, there is a gorgeous tree or shrub? in a yard in town. It changes to pink after this green showing in this photo. It is fantastical in the way it grows! It does shed the "foliage" in the winter. I would love to know what it is...it is fascinating and I think a lovely thing to look at. It may have been planted in the Victorian era, it just looks so old to me and it is planted in front of one of the Victorians in town.

I wish I had a picture of it when it "blooms" but I've not been too close except to take these photos today. I don't even know where to start in an ID because I've never seen anything like it. The middle photo does somewhat confuse it with the bush down the drive. I just took another shot so you could see how the trunk grows from another angle, so apologies for my terrible last shot with more bushes in the front. Thank you for any ideas. This is in Alameda, CA USA.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like Tamarix, possibly T. ramosissima--a restricted noxious weed in California.

3. MiniBot

MiniBot Member

Yes, I believe that is it! It's so pretty to me, I guess we're safe on the island as we have water all around us. Nice, thank you very much for the quick ID! It's quite possible I *have* seen it growing elsewhere now that I've seen more than the one on an image search. This one looks old and gnarled and in the winter it makes the house look "haunted" and creepy.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

You can help care for this plant by removing any volunteer seedlings you see nearby.

6. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

I agree with you that the tree looks quite fascinating. It must look even more enchanting in its pink robe. Thank you for posting your pictures.

I love Tamarix, tried to grow it in my yard, but because of reasons unknown to me it didn't like it here. Too bad.