tomato troubles . . .

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jenn p, Jul 9, 2011.

1. jenn p

jenn p Member

hello,

i am growing about 14 1-1.5 metre tall tomato plants, each in its own large pot.

lately i have noticed brown leaves with green edges to the leaves in some of the lower leaves and sporadically on the plants . . .
    i have looked up photos of early blight and late blight, but am unsure of whether it is either of these or not . . .
    also noticed a powdery bright orange residue on some of the leaves . . . and a few aphids here and there sucking on the plants (i've got stickies in there to control the population -- seems to be just one or two bugs now and then).

most of these plants were in a makeshift greenhouse with a fan circulating the air; they had decent ventilation, but they were a bit crowded (i've now moved several pots of cucumbers and 2 tomatoes onto the porch). also the fan has been intermittently off, so now always the best circulation, but fair most of the time.

how can i positively identify if there's a problem?
    is there anything i can do now to prevent or remove fungal issues?
    is it really too late to do anything?

thanks in advance for your help!!!

2. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

I picture would be very helpfull.

It could be as simple as sun burn from water droplets on foliage and spider mites moving in since you moved them out to the deck. I have a cedar deck and mites are always a problem.

It could be Mosiac Virus, does anybody smoke on the deck?
    But once again hard to say without a picture.

Also, Tomato Leaf Mold and Potato Blight can cause similar conditions to what you have explained. It could also be the Aphids causing the problem.Sticky tape fails to work in most situations as Aphids only walk about if the sucking parts of their mouths has been broken off. Once an aphid is in a certain place and begins to feed it is there for good. It can break away but then they just walk around unable to feed,lost and without a cause.

If you can't get a pic up what would be a good description of the foliage. Mottled,curled,wilted,blue tinged, papery patches,brown patches on upper surface, yellow patches on upper surface, purple underside etc.?

3. joe wadge

joe wadge Member

Could be to much water.

4. jenn p

jenn p Member

thanks for your thoughts!

i'm thinking i may be able to rule out mosaic virus as this is non-smoking home . . .
    i haven't been able to get a photo up due to technical difficulties right now.
    the brown leaves are still there, but they are centred more toward the bottom leaves.

if it were a fungus, would it be getting worse?

thanks again :-)

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

My tomato plants are showing significant damage from late blight already, due to the lousy weather to date. However, my plants are outside, exposed to the rain. If your plants are in a greenhouse, I would not expect blight to be a problem.

6. jenn p

jenn p Member

well my plants have been kept quite dry with the exception of morning dew now and then . . . i do have green fruit on several plants . . .
    i guess i will find out soon if i have edible fruit or bust!