Tips on growing palm tree in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Unregistered, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Hi botanists,

I have been trying to grow palm tree for last four years in Vancouver and have been unsuccessful so far. I tried leaving them outside, inside, in the sun, shade but in vain.
    Didn;t matter whether it is winter or summer. All the palm trees were in a pot. I would like to know your comments to the following questions:

1. Does palm needs direct sunlight or can I have them in shade? My house faces SOuth and I get sunshine in front living room. But I prefer to keep them in the back (facing North) but there is no direct sunlight (esp in winter).

2. What kind of soil is suitable for palm tree?

3. Which palm has the most hardiness that is available in Vancouver?

4. How much should one water and fertilize the palm tree?

Any ther tips to get keep palm stay healthy will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Inder

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

What genus of palm tree are you trying to grow? This will help to determine the problems you're having.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Go for Trachycarpus fortunei (Chusan Palm), that is the most reliable species

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you're looking for Trachycarpus fortunei, look for "Windmill Palm". It's rarely, if ever refered to as Chusan palm here in North America. These are the easiest to grow as a starter palm for the beginer.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I would say that the location in the back is to shady. The ones that do the best on my property are the ones getting the most light.
    If your trying to plant in the back of your property and it's shady you might want to go for something that likes that, like Fatsia or something.
    Carol Ja

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

Keep them on the dry side, and in very good light (good luck out there!).

7. South Delta and North Vancouver Nurseries have had the best variety, well priced and healthiest (vigorous) windmill palms for tha past couple of years..... (North Nanaimo nursery prices are astronomical)....

Shade windmills tend to gain height faster with longer petioles too.... The are a good understory palm...

8. oscar

oscar Active Member

You could try Chamaerops humilis, they look fantastic in a pot and i found grows really well in shade, another possibility would be Rhapidophyllum hystrix, this one being the more expensive option, i paid £50 for 1 about 18" high, worth every penny i might add :)

RHS instructions for R. hystrix, Grow in loam based potting compost, in bright filtered light. When in growth, water freely and apply a balanced liquid fertilizer monthly; water more sparingly in winter. pot on or top dress in spring.
    Outdoors, grow in any moderately fertile soil in partial shade.
    Michael A Dirrs book.... Dirr's Trees and Shrubs for Warm Climates: An Illustrated Encyclopedia
    has a much better description than the RHS book