This has to be intentional - maple trunk damage

Discussion in 'Maples' started by vbx, Jun 9, 2020.

1. vbx

vbx Active Member

This is my SECOND tree that been getting this type of trunk damage to it. No way this was done by mother nature (animals, wind, etc).

Seems intentional.

Noticed this on my newly planted tree today. What's going on?

Just a month or so ago, similar damage was done to my Bloodgood maple.

This damaged looks fresh?
    thumbnail_20200609_193910.jpg

This happened a month ago.
    thumbnail_1105124231_20200423_160716_15976981.jpg

Hopefully the tree survives. Almost half of the trunk "caldium" or whatchumacallit was trimmed off.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@vbx , good morning, I'm not so sure it's not animal related tbh. The first thing you need to do immediatly is to protect around both trees with chicken wire, to stop any further attacks. If the bark , cambium loss completely girdles the tree, it is lost.
    It looks to me as though the damage is the same height on both trees, so if not mechanical damage then it's the same animal returning at night.
    I have used cameras in the past where certain large animals have been suspected in an area, ( yes even in England) and once an animal is happy in a particular location it returns regularly.

So IMO protect around your two trees from the ground to just above the area of damage with a sturdy wire mesh. I genuinely believe that this will solve your problem.
    You may have to consider other trees with this process also. But the price of chicken wire is a lot cheaper than replacing lovely maples.

Hope this is of some help.

Do update the forum with any news on how you get on.

D

3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Hi..Frustrating..I had a very similar issue a month or so ago..it turned out to be a wood pigeon..amazing how much damage a small bird can do.

Attached Files:

4. vbx

vbx Active Member

I'll purchase some tree guard from a local store.

I've checked my cameras but way too many footage to go over. I do see Crows checkout out the trees. Could be crows? But the cut seem too clean. Not "pecked" but stripped off.

Maybe it's the freaking crows. Hopefully the tree guard will protect the bark from future attacks.

5. Acerholic

Hi vbx, good idea, it maybe vermin of some kind, mouse, rat,squirrel, etc etc etc. What animals are prevalent in your area? Chipmunks maybe your problem. So protection is necessary.

Good luck

D

6. vbx

vbx Active Member

Update. healing over nicely

Attached Files:

emery, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  7. Acerholic

@vbx, so pleased. Wonderful to hear good news.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

My suspicion for the damage would be squirrels - they like to strip maple bark in the spring & early summer to lick up the sweet sap (just like humans and maple syrup!).

AlainK likes this.
  9. Niwaki

Niwaki Member Maple Society

I get similar damage from voles, but mostly during winter months, and with smaller teeth marks. It looks like something with bigger teeth did this, a rabbit or a squirrel probably. Spraying with a repellent like deer spray should help. I make my own spray by blending garlic in water to ward off deer, seems to work pretty well on them for a bit, but you have to reapply it regularly.

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I recently read (here?) that garlic is a good repellent against foxes too.

Here, "green" people use a decoction of garlic against fungal infections. Add cinnamon and you have a very good product against aphids.

Add fresh ginger, cloves, turmeric, fennel, cardomom pods, black pepper and coriander and you can also have a good base for a curry. -JOKE-

Margot and dicky5ash like this.
  11. Acerholic

Good morning @Niwaki and welcome to the Maples forum.
    I totally agree about the use of Garlic, Squirrels and other animals do not like it. It is very effective in fox deterrent measures also.

12. Acerholic

@AlainK, it was me that recommended garlic for foxes on the other forum. It really does work. I have witnessed it happening.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    AlainK likes this.
  13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Years ago, while on a school trip, one of my fellow teachers called me to see the foxes coming into the frontyard of the house across the street.

And the landlady that housed us would raise her eyebrows.

I won't quote here what she said about her neighbour that put some saussages in her front garden to feed these lovely animals...

;0)

14. Acerholic

@AlainK, I could tell you more about my knowledge of this, but it's not for Forum postings.

AlainK likes this.
  15. vbx

vbx Active Member

no squirrels here. I saw crows picking at it.

I have put in some tree guards around the smaller trunk tree. I think it has recovered. I see new growth shooting out finally.

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

@vbx, good morning. That's really good news.

vbx likes this.