The very red of Kohauchiwakeade

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Johan, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Johan

Johan Member

Hi there! My name is Johan Kruger and I live in South Africa. My oldest brother passed away recently and I wish to plant a tree in memory of him. I really want to plant a RED maple tree that grows big and has RED leafes. But there are so many types and sizes and colors that I can't seem to find that illusive tree! I will attach a picture and name of a BIG red maple tree that I found on the net. Can anyone please tell me where or from who I can buy this tree as it is very important to me. Any and all suggestions will be hugely appreciated!

Thanking you in advance!

Johan F Kruger :-)

Attached Files:

2. stephen2602

stephen2602 Member

Hi Johan,

It is very honourable what you are doing but I would not purchase a tree without first checking you have the right climate for it and second, I would wait until the right time of the year to check the colours of the tree. When you go looking, the climate should be a typical year and from the vendor close to where you with to plant the tree. In arid climates where you don't have cold winters, most maples don't look as good as the pictures you see.

I have seen many pictures of outstanding red maples that turn out to be a golden colour due to the climate. Water stress in cool to cold Autumn causes the most brilliant colours in climates like ours.

It is a glorious picture. I would like one too but I don't have the room.

HTH!!

Stephen

3. Johan

Johan Member

Hi Stephen!

Thanx alot for the reply. Well in South Africa we have very cold winters so the Maple woul'd be fine, I guess.

But do you know where I can find this specific tree, not the schrud types, but the tree. And there are so many tree types etc. I need to find that specific one that's on the picture.

Thanx again for your reply! :-)

Greetings from a cold South Africa,

Johan F Kruger

4. neolitsea

neolitsea Member

hi johan

the botanical name for this maple is acer sieboldianum according to its japanese name. I hope you can find it in your country.

cheers

neolitsea