"The President" Clematis and rooting broken stem

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janetdoyle, Mar 30, 2015.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I just wanted to post success with apparently starting a rooting stem for a Type B2 Clematis. "The President"...

I was planting this about 2 weeks ago, a super healthy vigorous new nursery potted plant into a large patio pot, and managed to break off a nice branch. I can't seem to handle clematis without breaking them. I immediately dipped the tip in water then in rooting powder [used #2] and inserted it not too far down in the earth in the larger pot next to the main plant I had just transplanted. It looked fine for some days, then as I was being somewhat experimental and had not nipped off a budding flower and two leaf stems off the broken stem, it went into a decline but I left it alone. Now, again, 4 or 5 days later after first noticing its near wilting state, the leaves have spruced-up and the bud is firmly pointed upward again, not drooping... I used some liquid transplant fertilizer as well, and the rain kept it moist...

I probably should have used another pot to plant it in, in order to have two clematis plants, but did not have one ready... I hope this does root properly, I am fond of this variety, we had a successful one in Nova Scotia when we lived there,

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i agree, so hard to take a nursery potted clematis in the typical black plastic pot - out of the pot - then in to your garden

they staple the wood stake in to the side of the pot - so you're struggling with that - break the plant - and so forth!

good for you re: your re-root. President is a nice one. I like Nelly Moser for sentimental reasons - always does well out here at the coast - roots in the shade, head in the sun.

3. janetdoyle

Thank you, I think I'll add Nelly Moser somewhere!

4. Georgia Strait

ps - I never keep track of which "pruning" type mine are - I am a fairly wild gardener (ie I like the loose style) - however - that is one thing to keep in mind and record on a "garden map"

5. janetdoyle

We have a plague of deer around here, so I have to plant the clematis inside a patio, either in the ground near the fence, which is fine, or in a pot... I have never potted a clematis so am wondering how The President will do... we'll set up our drip irrigation again this year. There seem to be no deer around this month, though, this townhouse condo has lots of land and they normally "live" here, preventing owners from planting anything that is edible for deer [a lot] -- not sure if the Oak Bay "cull" affected us positively or not... or whether nearby Agricultural Zone farmers are doing something...

6. Georgia Strait

well, definitely a large, light colored pot so that the roots stay cool (in other words, dark colored pots get hotter)

ie - cool roots, sunny head.
    even, consistent water (think of a forest floor and how they scramble up in the wild) - do not over water and then let dry out.

i would not go crazy digging around the roots to put summer flowers in the pot with them - leave the roots undisturbed.

nice healthy soil - well drained - feed accordingly -

you will need a support that is permanent

if you want to "accessorize" with spring flowers - sure - some daffs? tete a tete do well for me in patio planters.

a few summer lilies that are permanent? (Star gazer if you like scented pink color)

i had President at a previous house and I think it was in the range of 8 feet max.

i also like to twist to clematis together - similar pruning - similar size - and different bloom periods - looks great.

I like the Alpina (blooming now) in pots too.

i have also had good results with Blue Ravine.

i have a diff one (mystery name right now) in this down-trodden garden that has done really well - nice burgundy pink - i will have to look to see if I have the label still ----- for sure probably from this long-established supplier out in the valley http://www.clearviewhort.com/

here is helpful info about patio plant pots w/ Clematis ---- and a valid point about using local info from our region vs info from British books - or other parts of Canada

7. janetdoyle

Absolutely... plants good in the other part of Canada one has to avoid, I went through that just after moving here. Items I grew there did not grow here very well, like Weigela -- just didn't develop much bloom, the deer ate the leaves... certain mid-summer flowering shrubs like white-flowered viburnums just did not perform, although a pink winter-flowering Dawn viburnum does beautifully in a wet spot; the New Dawn and Bonica roses did well though, this was in our front garden where it's shady until 1 or 2 pm then very bright and sunny all afternoon. I had to spray the roses regularly with Bobbex to deter deer; heathers are fine here though, they did not thrive in NS, and rhodos are wonderful here. I find a previously planted clematis coming up from under the fence around our patio, a nice reddish-purple smallish single bloom, I should know what it is but I'd have to look it up, goes wilted as soon as it starts to bloom, unfortunately, but it is in a locale without much air flow and quite a bit of shade.

The President is in a pale blue tall pot and the "trunk" of a white Wisteria is going to be its climbing post. I read somewhere on the Web that a gardener plants Nepeta [cat mint] "Walker's Low" under his or her The President, likes the colour contrast in blues. Can't find any yet, though, may have to order the seed -- looks pretty in photo. Not sure about putting it in the pot. I think I'll just buy a pretty Chinese mini umbrella, bright colour, to stick the handle into the pot and shade its roots.

Thanks for the tips.