Tall tree to plant in small space

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by AnnaBell, Jul 8, 2019.

1. AnnaBell

AnnaBell New Member

hi
    I have a side yard that is shaded in the morning and full sun in the afternoon. My space is only 45 inches across from fence to Allan block wall. I’m wanting to block the view of my neighbors as they are situated higher than us and look down on our back yard from their kitchen window and deck. I’m wanting it to be 25 feet tall and cigar shaped. Hoping for something that keeps its greenery all year around. Thank you

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Put an arbor over your seating area.

Michigander likes this.
  3. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

An arbor can be planted with Honeysuckle, Climbing Hydrangea, or Wisteria. English or Baltic Ivy would be nearly evergreen. There are no trees that would be 25 feet tall and less than 45" in diameter. Any tree grown in that space would require a great deal of special trimming to remain useful from your side and non-aggravating to your neighbor, and alive.

4. raingarden

raingarden New Member

There are tall bamboo plants used for screens at that height, and the more cold hardy they are the more evergreen they will be, such as Phyllostachys aurea (Golden bamboo), which should keep its leaves as long as the temperature is above zero. They say to plant them between 3 and 6 feet apart, so it sounds like about the right width for one to be around 45 inches.