Sudachi - Japanese Citrus

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Gregn, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

I recently bought a couple of these trees (this week) There is very little information on this very rare Japanese cultivar. They are apparently extremely cold hardy. Can anyone offer more information on this and perhaps where to buy a sample of the fruit (in Vancouver). The fruit looks like a medium size lime - I think.

Greg

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Greg. Sudachi should be quite cold hardy as one of it parents is Citrus ichangensis. I have a Sudachi, but almost never use the fruit. The fruit is very seedy, and does not contain all that much juice, sort of like a Yuzu. Could be used for squeezing over fish, or a salad. It is supposed to contain a high percentage of Vitamin C. If Vancouver has a large Japanese population, you "might" be able to find the fruit. I think you will have better luck finding the bottled juice in a Japanese market. Here in Colorado, I have never seen the fruit nor any product containing the any part of the fruit for sale in stores. - Millet.

3. Gregn

Millet, I have Never seen or heard of Sudachi sold her but have seen Yuzu. They Yuzu go for about $3.00 each at the Japanese markets. We have a large Japanese - Canadian community here, which is why I am trialling the Sudachi and Yuzu. Both are used in traditional Japanese cooking. I understand that these could be hardy to -12c to 15C on mature trees for brief periods of time. Fruit Trees and More (Sidney BC) has a fruiting Yuzu - though his specimen is not a good producer - I believe his was grown from seed about 15 years ago. Also,I have read that the Sudachi is used mainly when it is still green......

Greg

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I didn't know about using Sudachi while it is still green, but it would have a higher acid content while the fruit is still green (sort of like using a lime while it is still green). I just purchased a Panzeralla Orange and a Panzeralla Lemon (both produce huge oranges and lemons) along with a Gold fleshed Grapefruit. I purchased them from Phil (Mr. Texas). I going to put the Golden Grapefruit in the ground, and the other two in containers. - Millet

5. Gregn

Millet, Ned had a Panzeralla orange...I would be interested in the Panzeralla lemon. Its amazing what happens in natural cross breeding! My Harvey Lemon is growing like mad and is full of flowers and quickly outgrowing my kitchen window. As soon as the weather warms it will be getting a new home on the side of my house - in the ground ! It will be nice if this does well. A true lemon...i can almost taste the marmalade :)
    Greg

6. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Sudachi are used green & harvested in late August thru early September. They are about the same size as a Calamondin. Harvey lemons are nowhere near as hardy as Meyers & will get major twig damage & leaf drop if exposed to temps below 25 F.

Attached Files:

7. Gregn

Laaz, thanks for the photo of the sudachi. My harvey lemon will be protected through the winter - enough to prevent the lemons from freezing. It seemed to work ok for the Meyers during the winter of 06 / 07 when we bottomed out at the lowest temperature in zone 8 - for a few hours. I will have it up against my house for warmth / protection.
    Once again thanks for your valuable information!

Greg

8. Gregn

Well, I couldn't resist... I have a few sudachi's that are about the size of a key lime on some small plants. They appeared to be worth tasting....I tried my first one - I was impressed. I would describe it as a excellent lime substitute of very good quality with two seeds in the fruit. I may have found a winner on this one. If its as hardy as reported, it should work well in the local climate.

Greg

9. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Great job Greg !