sourcing seedling tray inserts

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by scottg, Feb 10, 2009.

1. scottg

scottg Active Member

I have been trying to find trays and plastic cell inserts for a week now and I can only find trays and domes or the peat inserts.

There must be some wholesale or retail greenhouse supply stores in my area.. Hopefully in the Richmond, Ladner or South Surrey BC area would be good. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thank you.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

use cardboard egg cartons.

3. scottg

scottg Active Member

Though we make every attempt to be environmentaly freindly, compost and recycle till the cows come home, I find the plastic inserts much easier to work with..

Thanks for the suggestion though Joclyn.

4. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I haven't been in the shop recently but Garden Works usually has a supply of inserts in their stores, maybe try them or phone ahead and ask. They should be getting their seed starting supplies in shortly if they aren't there already

Also, unless things have changed, the 3rd Thursday of every month is customer appreciation day and they offer 15% off on all purchases.

Annne

5. scottg

scottg Active Member

Thank you Anne, I will check them out.. All the garden centers I have visited thus far had nothing. A bit too early I guess..

6. Angelll

Angelll Member

I was down at West Coast Seeds retail store on Saturday and they had some. They are down off 64th in Landner. You could have a look at their catalogue online to see if they have the ones your after. Come to think of it...I saw some at Superstore in Langley too.

Angel

7. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

It's a bit too far north for you, but I got some last week at David Hunter Garden Centre in Kits.

8. scottg

scottg Active Member

Thanks Angel & Soccerdad.

I was looking at west coast seeds' web site today actualy. I was hoping to find a wholesale outlet and buy larger qty at a cheaper price but I have not found anyone local thus far. I guess I will get them from west coast seeds as they still have a few seeds for me that have not come in.

9. soccerdad

Aren't West Coast's $5.95 for 6, equals 99 cents each - which is the standard price here?

10. scottg

scottg Active Member

Yes, I realized this as well.. Doesnt seem I would save much by buying in larger quantities huh? I thought I would but I dont realy need a big case of these.

11. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

12. soccerdad

Their prices have to be increased by 25% to be converted into Canadian dollars, and the minimum order to Canada is $50 US, and then you have to add UPS shipping charges - the free shipping over $75 US, even if you wanted to spend that much, does not apply to Canadian orders. So if you could find the same product here, it would be cheaper.

13. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

opps....I over-looked your location.....sometimes I read too fast.

14. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Many of us buy case lots of such things from Crofton Grower Services on Tilbury Island.

I realize this has come too late for the original question, but they do supply many bedding plant growers/nurseries locally in case others are still looking.

Full cases only, tho, which is a lotta trays/pots/inserts/plug trays unless you're crazy like me and try to grow way more than you should in your "spare" time :-)

15. scottg

scottg Active Member

Thanks to all for the replys. I bought them from west coast seeds when I picked up the balance of my seed order.

Growest, I will check out Crofton grower services, that is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers.

16. scottg

scottg Active Member

I must also say, the 72 cell inserts and the peat ones seem to be all over the place. The 24 cell inserts are hard to find it seems...

17. Jonathon

Jonathon Member

I just used what was on hand, black lasagna trays with bakery snack containers cut in half to form two lids.

Small 4 oz. paper cups or bog rolls cut in half work for soil holders. You can also cut a toilet paper roll and fold over the bottom so the roots can poke through. They stand up well enough once planted and can be composted once you're done with them.

Attached Files: