Something is eating my rosebush

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by dogfish, Jun 14, 2008.

1. dogfish

dogfish Member

My climbing rose is getting holes in the leaves and some dark spots; as a beginner can someone suggest what the problem might be? Thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

your rose has black spot. it's a fungus and you'll need to treat with a fungicide to control it. it's virtually impossible to get rid of. things that can help, besides the fungicide treatments, are to remove affected leaves - either by taking them off or picking them up off the ground so you don't leave spores. you can also treat the area around the bush with lime (i've had limited success with that).

if the spot the rose is in doesn't have good air circulation and/or enough sun to dry it properly after rain, then it's going to be a continual problem.

as for the bits that are being eaten...i have that too. some years it's worse than others. various bug larvae will eat the leaves - i don't worry about that too much.

i just always treat the black spot as that can actually kill the bush if it gets bad enough.

3. dogfish

dogfish Member

thanks for the help!
    i will go remove those leaves
    it does get good air circulation, so hopefully things will improve :)

4. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

I had some bushes that had decent air flow (planted about 1/2 diameters apart, thinned leave masses in the center, etc.) in a damp area and discovered that even with trenching, I still had black spot. However, I noticed that taking all the branches from the bottom up to about 4 - 6 inches depending on the height took it from a nearly constant problem for 2 1/2 seasons to a handfull of leaves that fall, with similar results the next season.

Good Luck!!

5. Rosemarie123

Rosemarie123 Member

I use Ortho for Black Spot and systemic Insects...works good...

6. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Early season yellowing and drop of the oldest, more senescent leaves is not unusual in roses. It tends to occur more in certain years, and this year is one of those that had "rained" golden showers.

7. Kale

Kale Member

As stated,take every leaf off that is spotted.Discard!
    Keep air flowing prune out center branches and make cutting from them *lol
    Do not water the leaves.Yes it rains on the leaves but it is not treated water.
    Roses do not like sprinklers.
    As fas as the holes, looks like rose slugs check the underside very slowly and carefully the little boogers will hide close to the veins during direct sunlight hours.There are several kinds of these pest.and they hide well.
    Also looks like you may have Leafcutter Bees also.They are an honor to have in my garden,they mean no harm just taking leaf pieces for their nests they are good critters.
    How were the buds doing? Any damage?

Kale:)