Invasives: Solution for Japanese Knotweed

Discussion in 'Plants: Conservation' started by Lysichiton, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  2. Bryby

Bryby Member

"A public duty" Yes, i like that alot. Japanese knotweed can be delicious! Thats what i like about invasives, some are edible. Japanese knotweed is said to be extremly healthy, even with anti-cancer properties. I say, there should be a special Invasive Recipe Exchange Forum! Also, I am told to only eat the baby stalks.. But the big ones seem like a bigger meal. Is it ok to eat the bigger stalks?

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

When they get large, they're too tough to eat. Only the young spring sprouts are tender. Just like e.g. Spinach, when it gets old, it gets coarse and woody.

4. Knottyfood

Knottyfood Member

As the owner of the Knottyfood Manufactory in Wiesbaden, Germany I`ve initiated the "Bionic Control of Japanese Knotweed" to protect our local biodiversity from it`s invasion. At the same time I am establishing a self sufficient weed control by introducing Knotweed to the common diet plan; so our community becomes it`s natural enemy and through my Knottyfood Products this weed is finacing it`s own eradication.
    Further Infos about Japanese Knotweed`s culinary potential at:http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8...lc2Uta25vdHdlZWQtc3VzdGFpbmFibGUtd2F5Lmh0bWw=
    My project: http://www.newtritionink.de/shop/pdf/bioniccontrolofinvasiveplantspecies.pdf

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I've heard goats like it.