Shrub Selection Along A Sidwalk

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by cbale224, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

My driveway rises at 15 degree angle, it is quite steep. Because of this I installed a set of concrete stairs along the drive. Instead of putting in a railing I want to place shrubs along the new sidewalk. I am looking for suggestions on evergreen shrubs that are 3 to 3 feet tall. I want them to be drought tolerant and be fragrant when they bloom if possible. I am in zone 8 and the drive is on the west side of the house so it gets direct afternoon light. I would like to be creative to reflect the eclectic nature of my home.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe rosemary.

3. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

That is an interesting thought. I have used spanish lavender elsewhere in the yard for a similar purpose.

4. LilyISay

LilyISay Active Member

Hardy Gardenia? If you want knockout fragrance, that certainly fits the bill. Try Gardenia jasminoides 'kleim's hardy'. Available from Monrovia. I'd also recommend dwarf rhodos or azaleas, but they don't smell pretty for the most part. Dwarf myrtle also smells delightful when brushed, but it's the foliage that's scented.

L

5. Ron B

"Hardy" gardenia too short and needs to be watered quite a bit. (I thought of gardenias right away, too).

6. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I also thought of the Hardy Gardenia, but was unaware of the water requirement. I am trying to only plant things that are more drought tolerant. That would certainly push it down the list.

7. Ron B

Varies with the soil texture, my neighborhood has a long-established bigleaf hydrangea that never gets watered - on a heavy, retentive soil.

But the gardenia cultivars being sold and planted here as being hardier than usual are mostly so squat in habit that it seems you could be waiting for a long time to get your 3' height. There are a couple more vigorous-looking introductions being offered recently.

Another vivid yellowish green evergreen shrub is Mexican orange. You might find the 'Aztec Pearl' cultivar interesting. The typical C. ternata grows well above 3' but the cultivar may be a little less vigorous and quick to grow larger than desired.

None will reach 3' and then stall out, of course, so especially if you want rapid development you may do best to plant something taller-growing but able to be pruned to reduce height without spoiling it.

http://www.colvoscreeknursery.com/plantnotes.html

If you are in a mild area Pittosporum tobira 'Wheeler's Dwarf' might also have some potential. If you put in a mixed planting using more than one kind not only will it be more interesting you will also not have all your eggs in one basket. If one or two kinds turn out to be a bust in that location you still have the others present, producing an effect until the failures are replaced with something else.

8. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

Hi there, I have bought Kleins Gardenia and want to put him in a pot outside permanently. The pot is 26" high and 14" wide (inside width) at the top (it narrows to the bottom). I was wondering if you can advice me how to plant him in this pot e.g. type of soil (name the brand if you can e.g. Miracle Gro potting soil maybe mixed with some 'real' soil? Whatever you think would work best.)
    Also I am thinking about aspect. We he like sun/ partial shade? What about in the winter? Should I wheel him around to a certain spot in my yard? I don't want to bring him indoors. I live in Abbotsford BC Zone 8.
    Any advice about sun exposure and tempreatures that this plant prefers. I have heard they are fussy.
    What about winter protection? Would it help to line the pot with bubble wrap on the inside or outside, burlap? If using burlap, should it just be for short bouts as they are an evergreen plant?
    In addition to a pot, next year, I am thinking of buying another one and putting one in my yard, East facing against the house sort of under the eves. Any thoughts about that, too.
    Thanks