Same or different?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, May 11, 2021.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Good afternoon everyone.

I thought I’d do a little test today regarding similar/same cultivars.

The first group are the Aka/Beni Shigitatsu Sawa’s. As they have developed over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a very subtle green in the leaves of the Aka’s, and a very subtle red in the Beni’s. I don’t know whether the pics really pic up the differences but here they are any way.

The first 4 are Aka, second 4 are Beni.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The photos pick up the differences very well indeed Luke. Everyone can now see that these two are different cultivars.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I recently read something about two trees that were "the same, but different".

I think that even in the same conditions (exposure, soil, etc) some can actually look a bit different. I've noticed that on "clones" - cuttings or airlayers from the same tree.

Thre is still an "alchemy" that we don't understand that makes one tree different from its clone...

Acerholic and Luke’s Maples like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You have hit the nail on the head, so to speak Alain. They really do their own thing in different locations, even if it's in your own garden a few feet from each other or accross continents.

AlainK likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

i've read in different places the are the same. my Beni is just leafing out. i will be watching Aka/Beni Shigitatsu Sawa and Shigitatsu very close this year.

6. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Shigitatsu Sawa is very different. Luminous green when leafing out. It is right up there with Aureum when it comes to how bright the green is. Aka vs Beni is very subtle. But I do believe they are different. Hippo (a well respected nursery here in the uk) sell them both so that isn’t to be ignored lightly. There are so many Reticulated varieties out there now that I doubt more than a handful of people on the planet can say for certainty which is which and lineage etc.
    Perhaps one for @timnichols?