Sakura repotting in winter

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by bizia, Dec 14, 2011.

1. bizia

bizia Member

Hi,

I am afraid that I made the mistake of repotting a sakura bonsai tree in December (northern hemisphere), though the temperature is been pretty high (around 15 degrees lately). Is there any chance it will survive? Is there anything I could do to help it recover? Thanks in advance for your help,

Chaya

2. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hi, Chaya,
    This is Mariko in Japan. Wendy asked me to write the answer to your question, but I’m not good at growing Bonsai Cherries. I’ll write just what my Japanese book ,“12 Months of Growing Cherries†says.
    "December is a good time to repotting early blooming cherries in Tokyo area. And February is a good time to repotting usual cherries."
    But I checked the Webs (Sorry Google can’t translate nicely) and most of them say November is a good time to repot. I don’t know which is right.

Anyway, winter is the good time for potting, repotting and planting of the potted new cherries.
    (I have to repot my 2 Bonsai cherries this winter! But I’m afraid and I haven’t done it yet.)

3. bizia

bizia Member

Hey Mariko,

your reply is very recomforting...! Thanks. It sounds like my tree will survive the winter. It is though wird that other cherry trees are advised to be repotted in early spring right before the blooming. But mine is Japanese and seems to be close to blossom now... I bought it last year in February and it looked like it looks at the moment, so I do not know if the weather here in Spain has made it that way or if it will be looking like it does until February...

Anyway, do you know if the sakura trees, if fertilized by bees etc., could grow cherry fruits?

Best wishes,
    Chaya

4. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hello, Chaya,
    I’m sorry I couldn’t write back to you soon.

None of Japanese flowering cherries can have edible fruits. Fruit Cherries are cultivated in Japan, but all of them are foreign origin, sweet cherries from West and sour cherries from China. I don’t know what kind of Bonsai cherry you’re growing, but if you want to have fruits, you have to choose one of prunus Avium or Montmorency (P. x Pugetensis). But all of them have single white flowers.(For the translated pages, only see the photo. Google Translation is awful.)
    Also as far as I read, fruit cherries are good for cold places. Suitable average temperature of the year is between 7℃ to 14℃. So I think your place is too warm for fruit cherries.
    But if you mean fruits to take seeds, some of Japanese flowering cherries can have seed with other kind of Japanese flowering cherries. I have two kinds, Autumnalis and Asahiyama. But I haven’t had any seed.

By the way I repotted my Bonsai cherries. They became very good condition now. During transplanting, I realised roots were too wet. So now I water them 1 or 2 days after the surface of the pots dry up.
    The book says that if you live cold place, after the first frost; keep the pots under the roof or inside where they can get enough sunshine. And expose them outside only once a week. You know, cherries need coldness to bloom. So keeping them in warm place always isn’t good for them.

My Autumnalis after repotting ::::: Before repotting :::::: ::::: Last year
    20111218_Hakusan_Bonsai._Izaki 001.jpg 20111108_ImperialGarden 059.jpg 20101123_Hakusan_Autumnalis_Izaki 002.jpg

Spring blooming
    2011.04.08_1Hakusan_Autumnalis_Izaki_ 003.jpg

My Asahiyama now :::::::::: My old Asahiyama which died out
    20111218_Hakusan_Bonsai._Izaki 005.jpg 20100328_Hakusan_Somei-yoshino&Asahiyama_Izaki 002.jpg 20100328_Hakusan_Somei-yoshino&Asahiyama_Izaki 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2011