roses and image herbicide

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by redster, Sep 24, 2009.

1. redster

redster Active Member

i recently had a minor problem with weeds in a flowerbed of mine. the weeds were a mix of things but the worse was purple nutsedge. so to fix the problem i had to buy image herbicide to kill most of them. on the label it says do not use where roses (and others)will be planted within a year or so. i had intended to put 4 to 6 rose bushes here next spring.

does anybody have experience with image or some other herbicide thats supposed to be bad for roses?
    do you think 6 months or less will be enough to allow me to plant my first rose?
    if not, is there anything else i might be able to do?

2. Kale

Kale Member

My guess is remove all the soil and add compost.
    You have broken the soil structure chains and killed the micro-organisms that added chemical just may kill your rose.
    There are more ways to get rid of those Nutsedge without using chemicals.
    It is in the soil the soil may have become barren.It just may stay there for 1-3 years depending on how much yu spread the soil ie..tilling/ double digging etc.
    I don't play with chemicals but my lovely darling neighbor finds joy pouring it on my plants & bees and roses so I studied a "little" about the chemical reactions and soil structures and such.
    May or can last for years giving you all sorts of weird results, so if you plant there keep in mind many plants will flipp out and do weird things if they live!
    Do not plant any food crops! They probably wouldn't live there anyway .
    Sorry to hear what you did.
    If you still want to get those roses in you need to dig Giant Holes anyway.. I would remove all that soil render it as useless and pull out about a foot or more in the other areas.Actually I would remove all the soil 2feet down and put the soil elsewhere may be used for pots (annuals) if homemade compost is added for a year or two not sure.

Hope I didn't discourage you like I stated,there is hope, you just have some work to do should take less then a day!
    Along with the cost of good soil if you do not have a compost pile going.
    Chemicals are not a friend of the garden or my little critters.
    Post what you will do ! Interested to know.

Kale:)

3. redster

redster Active Member

i did a little bit of what you said, changed some dirt and stuff, though it would be too expensive to start completely over. i planted a few cheap roses and ill just wait and see for the next few years, so far so good.

dont bother replying, this post, much like this forum, is dead

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html

Not sure when this forum will close... Always a mistake to use even a selective herbicide in a garden, maybe ok in a lawn. I got caught this way with Houttuynia cordata or "Chameleon plant", shown for sale still as a groundcover, for some unknown reason, with bright red/green/yellow variegated leaves [Wikipedia: (simplified Chinese: 鱼腥草; traditional Chinese: 魚腥草; pinyin: yúxīng cǎo; literally "fishy-smell herb"; Vietnamese: giấp cá; Korean: 약모밀; English lizard tail and chameleon plant; Japanese: 十薬 or どくだみ), the sole species in the genus Houttuynia, is a flowering plant native to Japan, Korea, southern China and Southeast Asia, where it grows in moist, shady places] which the previous owner of my townhouse had planted around one side. What a job getting rid of it. I dug and dug and finally pulled most of it out, but there is still some popping up. It's gradually going, but if I neglected that side of the driveway I am sure it would come back. I tried treating with Roundup and Killex via a medicine dropper and an eggcup with the top of the plant forced into it, etc., etc., just touching the emerged leaves and nothing else, but that did not get it, and I did not want to put a herbicide in the soil and ruin the whole stretch. Some things just take off, and I think with determined work one could get most of it out. After all, dandelions and other things we just keep weeding for, keep coming back. Using a herbicide to treat an area you intend to use as a garden is a real no-no, from real gardeners' and horticulturalists' experience -- not for any wimpy political reasons. I have a neighbour who I believe did that once, and I would just be wild if it were currently happening -- I sympathise with the above poster who has a herbicidal neighbour...

5. Kale

Kale Member

You know what!???*LOL!
    I Actually grow "Chameleon plant"!
    Many gardeners tell me of it's invasiveness but mine just isn't, I promise!
    It never even grew in pots! I had to put it in the ground.
    I wait patiently for it to grow to place little cuttings in my many water features and pond.
    It loves water and the blooms are darling*LOL
    I love it, the colors are magnificent.

Thanks for you for your sympathy It is a harsh way to live been nearly 10 years of battle!

As far as my darling neighbors (Yeah more then one) I think they work for chemical scientist they are trying to see which plant life will survive the chemical if treated with compost within days!! They may drive-by in disguise to watch me mend.To report to the Scientist.

Jealousy will eat them alive. No reason to be, I offered to share my plants and knowledge.
    They are Greener then their lawn*LOL

Oh, I couldn't read much of that post but I knew what you speak of ...

Yes,Chameleon plant is a keeper of mine. I have that puny plant for 6 years.

Kale:)