Rhododendrons: Rhododendrons/Lime/Lawn

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by lily, Sep 25, 2008.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I am planning to add some lime to my lawn within the next couple of weeks. I have a row of my favorite rhododendrons growing down one side of my lawn. I understand that rhododendrons hate lime.

What distance should I keep from the rhodies when adding the lime to my lawn. I also have a newly planted red maple on my lawn. I'm thinking maybe adding lime isn't a good idea afterall, any help would really be appreciated. Thank you.

Did I ever mention how much I love this forum?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lime the lawn if there is a specific indication for a need, such as a soil test. I wouldn't use hydrated lime near rhododendrons. But these can actually benefit from winter applications of dolomitic lime on some cultivated soils in this region. In parts of China rhododendrons grow natively on limestone formations.

3. lily

Hi Ron,
    Thank you for your quick reply. I purchased dolomite lime for the lawn. I would rather forget the lime altogether if I thought it would ruin my row of Jean M's. Is dolomite considered hydrated lime? So, you're saying it is okay to use?
    Will the lime damage my red maple tree? I hear you often in your posts recommending soil tests. I haven't done this yet but I did purchase a soil testing kit from Canadian Tire here. I just have to figure out how to use it.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Better to have a soils lab do it. Down here USDA Cooperative Extension system helps the general public with this. Don't know where you would go up there.

5. lily

Okay, so if anyone from BC reads this post, would you let me know who does soil testing for Abbotsford?

Ron, can I use the dolomite? yes or no. Do you think it will harm my burgundy lace maple on my front lawn and my rhododendrons or should I forget the lime altogether?

Thanks Ron.