Rhododendron yuefengense

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by SoCal2warm, Jun 9, 2019.

1. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

Just wanted to post some pictures of a relatively rare, and a little bit unusual, Rhododendron species, yuefengense
    20190607_121007.jpg
    20190607_120948.jpg

yuefengense is a little bit hardier than typical rhododendron varieties and is said to be able to survive down to -8°F. (think that's about -22 C )

It's a later bloomer than most other rhododendrons and in fact is in bloom right now.

The leaves of this species are also distinctive.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

R. platypodum has similar leaves. Also there is R. orbiculare.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Where did you acquire such an unusual species? Perhaps not so surprising that it isn't listed on the ARS website but there are a few photos on Hirsutum (Hirsutum.info -- Rhododendron Species: yuefengense). None in Canada as far as I can tell. I have R. orbiculare.

4. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

My mom and I were visiting the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden (in Federal Way, WA) and we picked one up in the nursery there.
    I also got to see platypodum and orbiculare in bloom, which have similar leaf shape, but I personally like the look of this one better.
    This one also has a naturally dwarfed growing habit. I also spotted a cluster of three yuefengense in the University of Washington Botanical Gardens (Seattle), not far from the gazebo downslope of the Australia section.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Where did you acquire such an unusual species?

The Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden as well as the Edinburgh Botanic Garden have the largest numbers of cultivated rhododendron species gathered together at single locations anywhere.