Rhododendrons: rhododendron ponitcum variegatum

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by westgatea, Mar 16, 2003.

1. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

I have recently bought Rhododendron ponticum variegatum - which I think is not what I meant to buy! Can anyone give me some information about it, other than that it is variegated? Thanks - westgate.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Rhododendron ponticum
    Vigorous, evergreen shrub with inversely lance-shaped to broadly elliptic leaves, 2.5-7in (6-18cm) long, glossy. Late in the season, bears trusses of 10-15 broadly funnel-shaped, reddish purple, occasionally white flowers, to 2in (5cm) across, often spotted yelllowish green inside. Height: 20-25ft (6-8cm), width: 20ft (6cm). Zone 6-9.

3. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

rhododendron ponticum variegatum

thanks for the help - I wanted something tall, and it sounds as if this is it! But mine has variegated leaves (as you would expect) and this, it's first year, the flowers were blue - not purple or white as you describe. Isn't that odd - it only had a few, so maybe they will change as it matures. Thanks for the help, again!

4. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

variegatum

R. ponticum variegatum is, other than the odd foliage, pretty much like regular ponticum, which is to say that it does grow fairly large, and can be fairly aggressive or invasive, although they have more problems with this, I think, in Britain, where it grows thickly and quite high and forms excellent hides for the foxes being hunted.

The colour is quite variable. I have one that is pale lilac and another that is much darker purple, and the blue you mention is certainly well within the range.

5. westgatea

westgatea Active Member

rhoodendrun ponticum variegatum

Thanks for your reply - I wanted a large one, and this certainly seems to be that! However, when it bloomed this spring (only one or two blossoms as yet) it was a pale lilac - that is what mystifies me... gues I'll just have to wait a couple of years.