Rhododendron 'Nancy Evans'

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by pmurphy, May 3, 2019.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0936.JPG

'Nancy Evans' is a small evergreen shrub only 24 - 36" in height but the unusual characteristic is that the buds start out red and then change to a pale yellow as they open.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

From a 'Hotei' x 'Lem's Cameo' cross made by Ned Brockenbrough of Bellevue, WA. So there is a twice local (Seattle area) involvement because 'Lem's Cameo' ('Dido' x 'Anna') was selected by Halfdan Lem in Shoreline, WA. (Lem was also one of the raisers of 'Anna').

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Nancy Evans is one of my favourite rhodos, similar to one I grow named Jingle Bells. It was developed by Halfdan Lem who, being born and raised in Norway, would probably have called it 'Yingle Bells'. QBARS - v31n1 Halfdan Lem, Hybridizer

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Ah, I see that's from that very enjoyable article. Thanks for the link. I was surprised to find that I recognized the name of one of Lem's rhododendrons that I photographed at VanDusen yesterday ('Pink Walloper', just in bud).