Rhododendrons: Rhodendron

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by jackbobby, Aug 17, 2006.

1. jackbobby

jackbobby Member

I planted a new 24'" high rhodendron this summer and it bloomed beautiful pink flowers. Just in the last week or so it looks very wilted. I have watered this plant regularly. When I planted it I put in peat moss as well. Any ideas on why it is wilting?

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Overwatering can cause root rot if the plant is in a warm place (or even in a cool place if the watering is really extreme). The top of the plant will wilt if root rot is present. Alternatively, isn't peat moss hard to wet once it really dries out? You may be watering but the roots may not be getting the water.

3. jackbobby

jackbobby Member

What wouldyou suggest I do now so it won't die?

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

You need to figure out why it is wilting, so probe down into the soil to see if it is wet or dry near the rootball. If the rootball is dry (which is often the case if you did not break it up a bit before planting) then you should find a way to give it a good soaking. If it is wet down there... well, I haven't figured out how to stave off root rot yet except to hope for the best. One thing would be to give the roots air, which is an essential ingredient for roots and for rot prevention. Maybe the soil is too packed; you can lift the plant and loosen up the area a bit. While you're at it watch out for weevil grubs, little white larvae, in the soil. They might also be eating your roots.

5. jumbojimmy

jumbojimmy Active Member

because that u say that it's summer now - most likely beacuse of the heat and the wind that is causing the withering.

But don't worry, during the night when you water it, the leaves would bounce back up again in the morning. i would move it to a shady position. check the soil if it's acidic, and mulch it.

I heard that rhodos are thirsty shrubs.

I use to be a fan of rhodos - unfortunatley i live in aust and summer gets very hot here.