Recommendation: Coral bark, pink edged leaves???

Discussion in 'Maples' started by WesternWilson, Jul 10, 2006.

1. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

HI all, I am looking for a nice Japanese maple, preferably one with good red winter bark colour, leaves tinged red around the edges (like Katsura), good fall leaf colour would be nice, too.

Any suggestions? I can work in almost any size, although I'd prefer something in the 4'-8' range with strong horizontal lines.

Thanks!!

2. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, WesternWilson.

I think you need something custom made...;)

Sango Kaku - but it gets bigger, and I'm not sure about strong horizontal lines - if you mean horizontally distributed lines with lots of free space in between, that's not Sango Kaku (nor Katsura).
    Gomero has a few pictures of 'Summer Gold' in the gallery, but it's not widely available.
    Schusch

3. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

Japanese sunrise perhaps?

4. majohnson

majohnson Member

I renently ordered a Fjellheim, so I will update when it arrives. From what I have read its coloring is claimed to be better then the Coral Bark.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

You fail to mention what kind of musical instrument the maple is supposed to play, otherwise there are too many choices ;o)

Gomero

6. WesternWilson

Well, I'd prefer a harp, but flute will do....

7. Frank Byles

Frank Byles Member Maple Society

I have eight different "coral bark" cultivar varieties and I don't have "pink edged" leaves on any of them except maybe when they are first "coloring up". All open up green, stay green and then color up for fall before bright red bark for winter. My collection contains Sango kaku, Beni kawa, Red Wood (supposed to be improved Beni kawa but mine isn't), Japanese Sunrise (yellow, orange and red acording to sun exposure around tree), Pacific Fire (A.circinatum), Fjelheim (dwarf Sango kaku), Aka kawa hime (dwarf Beni kawa), and Winter Flame. Sorry I no longer sell. Now if someone has a "coral bark" with pink tinged leaves I would like to know about it. Cheers

8. schusch

My Sango kaku has pink edges on its leaves, but not uniformly. Its wood is also still pretty pink right now. There is a somewhat recent thread here on this forum that discusses Sango kaku - there are different forms circulating (as Mr Shep, for instance points out). Here is the link:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14109&highlight=sango+kaku

I do think WesternWilson might be looking for Sango kaku - even though the strong horizontal lines might refer to another cultivar (or may be a Sango kaku pruned in a particular manner?).
    Schusch

9. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well, there are hundreds of other maples that may bring more enjoyment than a coral bark. Both Sango kaku and Beni kawa can be a pain the . . Often dieback on branches in the spring. Not real strong trees. There are just so many wonderful maples - Moonfire and dark burgundy red palmatum has dark purple bark. Acer griseum and peeling bark.

Filigree a dissectum has wonderful whitish green bark. What other maples are out there with outstanding bark?

As to pinkish leaves. Geisha is an option as a dward or maybe Corallinum. Sam

10. WesternWilson

You know, that is very true...I guess the reason for the coral bark is just a spot of interest and *zing* for the winter months, and other colours of bark would supply that quite well.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread "Summer Nice with Winter Interest"?

11. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

My own Sango Haku (Senkaki?) has pink edged leaves and a superb winter bark colour
    Katsura is a very similar plant with a less noticeable pinkish bark but with the pink edged leaves. I say this because I have just recently planted a Katsura close to an established Senkaki and notice this for the first time
    Aoyagi has a beautiful green bark in wintertime and has a lovely light green leaf throughout the year

12. WesternWilson

I have a lot of lime green in that big border from Choisya ternata "Sundance" shrubs. I wanted something with some winter interest that also picks up some of the plummy purple tones I have coming from heucheras, Bloodgood maples and purple sedums, so the pink edged leaves have a big appeal.

I took a browse through Art's on No. 6 road, and saw a few possibilities, including a spectacular large Sango Kako right by the parking lot. My, they are quite the showboat tree! I am off to Cedar Rim tomorrow and any specialty breeder I can find in the Langley area.

13. graftedmaplecollector

Corallinium is waaaay more tender than sango kaku, I have five of various ages, two of which are planted in full louisiana sun. Never had a single problem with any of them and almost no dieback whatsoever. Sango kaku is one of the toughest japanese maples available.

14. WesternWilson

Yes, that Sango Kaku reputation for fussiness has kept me from buying one!

15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here's a radical idea :)

How about some other maple than palmatum? Like A. x conspicuum 'Silver cardinal' or 'Phoenix?' Or A. griseum, for peeling orangey bark and great spring color? Or A. rubescens 'Summer suprise?' (Not sure if you mentioned a zone somewhere that I missed). Or A. rufinerve 'Erythrocladum' or 'Winter Gold?' All have great winter interest and do interesting things in spring and fall at least.

Just a concept. I think Sango kaku is a brilliant tree, but sometimes it's nice to look further afield...

-E

16. WesternWilson

I will look them all up!

17. schusch

To add to what Emery is saying: I prefer Acer pensylvanicum 'erythrocladum' to xconspicuum 'phoenix' (I have both).

18. emery

Hi Schusch,

Phoenix is meant to be easier than Erythrocladum, or at least suffer less from dieback in cold winter conditions. So I've heard anyway! What's your experience?

19. schusch

Hi Emery-

I haven't seen any signs of dieback on my erythrocladum. I planted it a couple of years ago - it's probably 4 years old now. I like it much more than the 'Phoenix'.
    It keeps it red and white stripes pretty much all year - it's a pretty exceptional tree, I think.
    Schusch

20. emery

Maybe hotter autumn conditions than we have in Normandie, and dryer too I suppose. I'm sure I'll get around to finding out for myself one of these days!

21. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Our temperatures have increased markedly this summer with long hot and very dry spells which we were never used to before
    It is making for a totally different ball game !!!!!!
    I have, however, never noticed Senkaki to be overly 'fussy'???? Maybe it has just enjoyed our climate up until now, and will start giving problems with the weather change. It certanly had a bit of die back from early frosts, but nothing serious
    It is superb in winter
    Then again ... I have a Cornus Alba Siberica 'Westonbirt' which also gives me stunning pink bark during the winter months

22. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

It is fascinating to see how one cultivar can be observed to be so different in various climate zones. Our long rainy months in this part of the Northwest make drainage the key issue. In February we had 30 days in a row of rain, a new record. I was worried about my maples in their containers because they never had a chance to dry out. I did have some trouble with Corallinum and Beni kawa early on, but luckily spring became summer.

23. graftedmaplecollector

Corallinum is known to be prone to root rot, and yes I have had to move sango because of drainage problems.