Question; scientific reasoning behind flushing

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by syko2, Oct 31, 2004.

1. syko2

syko2 Member

Could someone help me understand the scientific reasoning behind flushing prior to harvest. I know the reasoning in lamens terms, but i would like to see something in the actuall way it works. How it cleanses the plants of chem residues and the way it makes sugars from the ferts,etc.etc.Thanx

s2

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you are referring to the practice of flushing (plain old water, no nutrients, no additives) in a hydroponic setup then I find the theory is to provide unaltered water to the plant root system or via the watering system in an attempt to "remove" salts and potentially other unwanteds in the plant system. To my knowledge the plant will attempt to equalize the balance of nutrient or salt load between its root system and the phloem / xylem tissue which theoretically would provide you with a half value to each of the two "zones" per flushing cycle. I have not seen data to support this theory and/or practice. I have never seen anyone study timing, length of cycle or effectiveness (a before and after leaf assay for salt load would be a good measure I think) for this practice I am just commenting on experience and potential heresay. I have seen (and worked for a company that sold) a product claiming to help "leach" the plants of the aforementioned things but again, no scientific backup, just theory and experience were used as a reason for, recipe for and label claims on the product in question.

3. syko2

syko2 Member

thank's for the reply..

please understand I have a few years of growing under my belt and I am doing some research after a freind posted this question on another forum.

I hope someone can still provide me more detailed info. or link...

s2