Push behind or self propelled lawn mower?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sydney_1, Dec 24, 2020.

1. sydney_1

sydney_1 New Member

Hey all, I have started my gardening for almost 2 months now. I am starting to acquire the tools and equipment needed and was thinking about whether to rent a push behind or a self-propelled lawnmower as there has been a lot of lawn maintenance that needed to be done. I am not quite familiar with the cost and expenses which are going to incur for the same. I would maybe be having a use for it every 6 or 8 months but I am confused whether to buy or rent. Could someone help and advise me on this?

2. Danielb

Danielb New Member

If you are going to use it for one time or so I would recommend that you go with rental option or if you are sure that you'll have the use for it every day, then I suggest you buy one for yourself. Make sure you look for a few before purchasing one as the price and the brand is important.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to these Forums @sydney_1 and @Danielb. Just curious @sydney_1, but what kind of lawn needs to be mowed only every 6 to 8 months? Could you be a little more specific about where in Canada you live? Where I am, we can go 4 weeks between mowings in the summer. My husband, who does the mowing, prefers a self-propelled mower. I think he could use the exercise a push-behind type would ensure but I don't think the lawn cares one way or the other. :-)

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning and welcome to the forum Sydney. It appears from your posting you have a meadow or paddock?? So cutting every several months in my opinion from experience it is best to hire. I shared one with other horse owners for paddocks that I allowed to grow for hay for my horse.

5. Acerholic

Welcome to the forum. Totally agree with your thoughts Daniel, hiring will be best in these circumstances.

6. Acerholic

And couldn't we all do with a little more exercise. But 18 holes of golf usually does the trick.