Purple Wandering Jew Plant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by NoGreenThumb, Feb 12, 2004.

1. NoGreenThumb

NoGreenThumb Member

I need some help with my wandering jew. It hasnt had the little flowers on it for awhile now and the leaves are mostly brown and crunchy. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to its purple/green leaves? Or am I too late already? Please if anyone can help

2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

All too often, plants problems are mis-diagnosed. As a result, a caring gardener can further stress the plant in question or even kill it with too much T.L.C. (Tender-Loving-Care).

If you have noticed that your Wandering Jew has begun browning up, I would make sure that you are not saturating the soil with water. The worst thing for a plant to live in an excess water environment. If this is the case with your Wandering Jew, you will want to stop watering immediately. Even though the gardener may think that he/she is better its chance of survival, they may actually be leading to its demise!

A simple rule-of-thumb to follow is that if the soil is moist just beneath the surface, then the plant has enough moisture to get it through for a while. If the soil is dry beneath the soil, then you will want to water accordingly.