Propagation of Hardy Gardenia

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by JBerger, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JBerger

JBerger Member

Where can I find the proper complete information on propagation of the Hardy Gardenia. I would like to try and take some cuttings but I do not know where or when is best. Thank you.

2. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I have never heard of a Hardy Gardenia. Are you thinking hardy geranium?

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is a newly introduced gardenia on the market that is hardy to Zone 7, sold as Kleim's hardy gardenia or just hardy gardenia. I believe its origin is China. This is being grown in the eastern USA and other warm summer areas--not sure how it would do in the maritime climate of the NW. I am curious if anyone in BC or WA has tried growing it, or the UK or similar climates.

Soft cuttings should work well or try layering. Try tip cuttings (about 10-15 cm) with 2 or 3 nodes in the active growth period (spring, summer). Probably a good idea to dip the cut stem lightly in a rooting hormone, then place in small container of moist sterile media and put that in some type of larger container or plastic bags to keep the cuttings in a moist environment, so they don't dry out while forming new roots.

Good luck.

4. JBerger

JBerger Member

Eric, that is what I have Kleim's Gardenia. I will try the soft cuttings. What do you mean by layering. I have seen it used but do not know what it means. Can you explain please? thank you so much for taking the time to help me. JB

5. Eric La Fountaine

Simple layering involves laying a low branch down to make contact with the soil in the middle of the branch leaving the tip exposed (securing it there with a weight or something) and allowing it to form roots. Once it has formed roots, it is cut from the main plant and you have a new start. This allows the start to be fed by the mother plant while forming. This happens naturally with some plants.

6. JBerger

JBerger Member

Thank you Eric, I was not sure if you cut the branch off the plant and lay it in the ground or leave it on the plant. Now I know what layering is for sure. Thanks again.

7. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Kleim's Hardy made in through last winter in a pot for me here.

8. JBerger

JBerger Member

Oh Wow, how lucky are you!!!!! I did the Epson Salt thing on mine for the yellow leaves and all the yellow leaves fell off and the plant looks really pretty good. I want to take some cuttings but I am going to wait a few days to see what happens. I can not believe the Epson Salt did that? If you put regular sale on grass it dies but putting Epson Salt on the soil of the gardenia helps with the yellow leaves problem is to me unbelievable.

9. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

The Epsom Salt helps Clematis leaves also.

What zone is BC, Canada?

10. mama flora

mama flora Member

Hello everybody.
    Behavoir of hardy gardenia concerning to propagation is the same as gardenia jasminoides.
    In addition of what Eric has perfectly explain, when you cut some flowers to put on a vase, once flowers wilt cut them leaving the steam in the water and adding it a little bit of rooting hormone; in about 2 weeks it may have little roots. Better to leave them in the water until roots are larger (almost 1 inch); if you want so, you could add some slight portion of hydroponical solution.
    Cheers!

11. Eric La Fountaine

British Columbia is a large province with areas from Zone 0 to Zone 8. The warmest zones are found along the southern coastal areas of the mainland and Vancouver Island with the coastal areas of Haida Guai (Queen Charlotte Islands) also very mild. Summer temperatures are generally much cooler than would be found in Zone 8 in the southern USA however.