Propagating "Lucky Bamboo"

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by DwightFinToronto, Oct 2, 2006.

1. DwightFinToronto

DwightFinToronto Member

I am a good, lucky gardener and have a question about propagating "Lucky Bamboo"
    I have a Lucky Bamboo that is now going on 3 to 4 years old that I planted in a lage pot about 1 year after I first received it. It has done very well in my house but when I moved to my new townhouse, it was left outside in the sun and got synburned. I brought it out of the sun and left it in the shade outside. It started to turn brown when in the sun but has since sprouted some new shoots from lower down on the bamboo stem. Now I am bringing it in for the winter and would like to get rid of the old dead and brown sections and start some new plants from the new shoots. Cananyone help me and tell me how to go about starting the new plants from the new shoots?
    Thanks
    Dwight

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

If the new shoots are large enough you can snip them off and place them in either some water to root, or with rooting hormone into some potting soil. I also suggest that you cut the old plant down to where it is green adn healthy and it may just sprout up again. If you want more info about "lucky bamboo" look up Dracaena sanderiana on the internet or in a house plant book because that is all "lucky bamboo" is.

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Good one James D.! Yes, I brought home some cuttings from Hawaii last Christmas and did exactly what you are suggesting and what a success! Within 6 weeks they had enough roots to pot and now grow beautifully in my indoor friendship garden.