Propagating a philodendron

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by aliccia, Dec 2, 2004.

1. aliccia

aliccia Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can propagate my Philodendron Pertusum (Monstera deliciosa)? It's getting to lanky in the pot and I want to start another plant next to it in the same pot. Any suggestions? Also my leaves aren't all that big and some aren't splitting, does this just come with time?

Thanks
    Aliccia

2. propagating philodendron

Take a stem cutting a put it in a mason jar filled with water. It will grow roots then it can be potted.

3. mayhr

mayhr Member

does it have to have node on the stem or not?

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

certainly yes

5. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

yes it needs the nodes to grow the roots from and put it in a glass jar and best on a window sill getting sun ..add a lil plant food to the water and dont worry about algea growing in it .. let it get green and dont change the water just keep topping it up .. the plants love it like that .. i have rooted all my plants like that .. i have some glasses that you cant even see through cause they are so green .. even when you are not rooting a plant keep that water and just top it off ..
    they are easy plants to root ..

Marn

6. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

Hello everyone! I'm very new to plants and would love know more about them! What do nodes look like on a philodendron? My mother and sister both have different ones and I would love to propagate them for myself.
    Thank you so much for your help!!

7. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

The node is the point on a stem, sometimes swollen, where leaves, leaf buds and shoots arise.

8. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

Oh OK! That makes sense. Thank you so much!

9. dkg091065

dkg091065 Active Member

I just cut mine 1" on each side of the arial roots the plant shoots off as it grows. I let it dry for 2 days and place them in a new pot with a light peat based potting soil. Leave them alone at this point and they will root and start growing new plants. I have turned 1 plant I bought at Wal*Mart into a jungle in my house! I find that plants will not "split" the leaves for only two reasons, Very young or not enough light. Avoid direct sunlight which will yellow and kill the leaves, keep 5'-8' from a patio door or window. Hope this helps.

10. rusty bumper

rusty bumper Member

My wife has had good success with these plants of late.

She feeds her's with water from our two freshwater aquariums.

The water is full of life giving nutrients.