Pot watering during autumn and winter

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Mani, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Mani

Mani Active Member

Seems a bit premature given the remarkably hot weather we are having. but what are the rules for watering acers in pots during autumn and winter? Is it water well when the top few inches are dry?

Prompted to post after @Acerholic's comment on the weather thread plus I've been meaning to ask......

Thank you!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Mani a good time to ask tbh Mani. There is no hard and fast rule as such. But as they slow down, ie start to go into sleep mode then watering has to do the same. Although I continue to water until the first frost, it is a gradual reduction in the amount and the regularity.
    Obviously at the moment and for the next two weeks as it is going to be warm and dry I will continue as in Summer. Especially as I am getting a lot of new growth.
    The thing to watch out for is when the leaves turn to the late Autumn colours, not the trasnsition phase that they are in atm.
    That is the time to reduce watering greatly. If you continue to water too much during this period the roots can rot, as it will just sit there not being used by the roots for the upper canopy. And in Winter if they are in pots, I might water a little if they feel light. But as they are asleep they need 'very little' indeed.
    Watering then picks up in the Spring, but again a gradual increase. More potted maples are lost through over watering than poeople realise.
    A moisture meter is useful and can be purchased via a very well known online shopping channel. This helps with those larger pots that cannot be lifted to check.
    I did have one but it packed up after three years and I haven't bothered to replace as nearly all my trees are now in the ground.
    So to finalise, reduce gradually as they start to go to sleep and increase gradually as they wake up. And 'No' leaves means very little water needed.
    Hope this is of help Mani.

Mani likes this.
  3. Mani

Mani Active Member

Great help, thanks D!