Pod-less Wisteria?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by forakermm, Nov 27, 2009.

1. forakermm

forakermm Member

I just noticed that my friends wisteria has long seed pods and my husband just removed a wisteria on a job site that had pods, yet our wisteria never has had one pod! Both of these other wisteria plants are in the same region and have similar climates (no clue on soil quality or content). We bought our home nine years ago and the wisteria was well established; the gardener for the prior owner said that it was planted over 50 years ago by said owner! We have always had tons of blooms and it grows like a weed so I thought all was well with our beautiful wisteria. That is until I found out it is supposed to have pods! Why would our wisteria be so healthy yet have no pods? Could it be too old or dieing? I doubt it because it is a very robust grower and we have at least one major bloom (sometimes 2-3 blooming episodes) per year. I've not been able to find any information on pod-less wisteria, so any information would be most helpful!

2. jcblue13

jcblue13 Member

In wisterias you have the 2 most important sp. W. floribunda and W. sinensis (other sp. exist but not important here)
    What you have must be a W. sinensis which has relatively short flowers but well scented.They have very rarely seed pods.

The W. floribunda has longer flowers and mostly no scent. They have all the seed pods.

see my website for pictures www.deceder.com/index.php?option=com_exposeprive&Itemid=26 and look under wisterias

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Climate? Is the podless one in the fog belt with cool summers? And the one with pods further inland with hot sun?

I've never seen Wisteria produce pods in Britain (cool summers), but in Italy (hot summers), they're loaded.

4. jcblue13

jcblue13 Member

It has nothing to do with the climate. I live in Belgium (our summers are not better then in the UK) and i have plants with and without seed pods. See my prev. post.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years