Identification: Please help identify these two plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Hothersale, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Hothersale

Hothersale Member

I've got two plants I hope someone can identify for me.

I'm sure the first one is a very common houseplant, but I have no idea what it really is. I thought it might be a Dracaena variant, but it has kept all its lower leaves and is not very palm-like. About six years ago, my wife put it outside one summer in full sun and it got completely fried. I cut it down to just a stump, and it started to regrow after about a year (hence the name "stumpy"). Now it is about 6 feet tall and very happy without any direct sunlight. We want to rearrange our furniture and put it closer to the window, but I'm deathly afraid of frying it again.

The second plant came in a bouquet of cut flowers about four months ago. After the flowers wilted, I noticed this beautifiul dark purple cutting was starting to root, so I left it in a vase of water for a few more weeks until the roots were nice and long, then I transplanted it. A few of the lower leaves died at that point (I have yet to take them off), but the plant has recovered nicely since and there is plenty of new growth. From the gorgeous dark purple color of its sword-shaped leaves, I assume it is a shade-loving plant, but I could be totally wrong -- I'd really like to know how to take care of it properly. (I kept it quite wet at first, but now I just give it a good watering once a week.)

Any help identifying these plants would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris Williams

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

number one is a Corn plant, AKA Daracaena masangeana I think. The second one I recognise but can't remember the name, I am sure someone will soon though, don't fret.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think the second one might be a (Hawaiian) ti plant, Cordyline terminalis.

4. Hothersale

Hothersale Member

Thanks!

By Jove I think you've got it! It looks very much like the Red Sister variant.

Many thanks, all!
    CW

5. fayegheh

fayegheh Member

please helpe about hawaiian ti

[

Hi i am a new member i was searching the net about my plant which now i found out its name is Hawaiian ti but i can not find any information about it on the net can any
    body please tell me about a site which i can find some information about it , i have tried many sits but this name dos not exist please help my plant is diying and i need to know what to do with it i would be graetfull.
    thank you

6. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

try a google search for cordyline terminalis or the famly name
    Agavaceae

regards Doug

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I did a Google search for hawaiian ti plant and there are lots of informative sites about this plant. It is a common house plant. I particularly liked this one(it doesn't offer care information. It deals with traditional use of the plant). Note not all ti plants are red.