Please help identify these fig trees

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by tarman61, Oct 21, 2021.

1. tarman61

tarman61 Member

The two new trees are about 3 years old and they had figs late September this year but they are small and very hard. I don't believe they will be ripe enough to eat. There was no Breba crop on either and I am wondering if they are the right variety for Burnaby, B.C. Any help or information is much appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Fig 3 looks like Ronde de Bordeaux (by the leaf), but unless your microclimate isn't unfavourable for figs or your trees aren't very young, Ronde de Bordeaux should start to ripen in the end of August or in September. It's pretty tough to identify figs by just a photo of leaf and fruit.
    I think, that you should ask from Ourfigs forum:
    Fig Forum - Ourfigs.com

3. tarman61

tarman61 Member

Thanks Sulev, I have taken these pics a week ago and they are not ripe at all. I am not sure if I should take these trees or keep them. I will see how they do next year and if I don't get any figs from them then they are out :). Thanks again

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Your figs look still promising. When they are as large as yours, then, providing favourable weather persists, it takes only week or two to ripen some first fruits. Maybe you need to give them a little head start in the spring? By using a floating row cover it is possible to add few extra weeks.
    When your figs came out of dormancy last spring?

tarman61 likes this.
  5. tarman61

tarman61 Member

I have no choice but wait, the problem is that we have been having rain for weeks and we haven't had much sun sun lately. These two trees were late coming out of dormancy.

Thanks Sulev.