plants in bowls

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Liza Baer, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Liza Baer

Liza Baer Member

i have several indoor potted plants that i keep in small ceramic bowls as drip guards. i wanted to make sure that this doesn't significantly limit air circulation for the roots. is there anything i can do to promote healthy circulation?
    thanks

2. T. Shane Freeman

T. Shane Freeman Active Member

Improved aeration can be accomplished in many ways. The following list is some of the possible ways to overcome the problem of limited aeration:

1. Porous soil structure
    * Make sure that your plants are planted in a multi-aggregate soil/media that will promote efficient aeration. Companies, such as Miracle-Grow, sell pre-mixed bags of media consisting of vermiculite, perlite, peat moss, top-soil, wood chips, etc. The greater the soil diverisity, the better the exchange of gases. Soil consisting of strictly top-soil will be far too 'heavy' for adequate gaseous exchange and as a result, the plant will not thrive to the same degree.

2. Proper watering practices
    * Be careful not to over-water and saturate the soil. Once this happens, air will not infiltrate the aggregates and as a result, the plant will 'suffocate'.

3. Drainage holes
    * Make sure that your clay/ceramic bowls have a drainage hole in the bottom that will allow excess water to drain.

4. Pot/Bowl selection
    * There are now new bowls available on the market that have holes drilled not only in the bottom for drainage, but also in the sides for improved aeration. Depending on the species that you are planting, such a pot may give the results that you desire.

These are a few ideas that come to mind.....................but I am sure that others will be able to further the list!