British Columbia: plants/flowers for bees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by TimA, Jul 23, 2010.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

I finally have a patch in a community garden in Vancouver, and one of the things I want to grow are plants that are helpful to local bee populations...I know it's a bit late in the season, but are there specific plants/flowers that I could start at this time of year with this aim in mind (encouraging bees and/or butterflies)?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Tim, Go to your computer and Google "Planting Flowers for Bees". Several sites will be listed. One is even called "Planting flowers for you bees for dummies". Lots of info. Have fun! ;)) barb

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Given you're planting late in the season, here's a couple of perennials you could plant now (from potted stock, not seed) and get some instant gratification...each of these is particularily attractive to bees and/or butterflies...for next season, google as mentioned. There are of course many, many more you could plant, but these three seem to be favoured forage plants around here, and they'll get you started...

Centranthus ruber AKA Jupiter's Beard. If there's butterflies around, they'll find it. Big caveat: deadhead flowers before the aerial seeds develop, or it'll spread throughout the community garden. Which will bring hordes of butterflies...the horror. Might peeve your plot neighbours, though. Flowers a second time in the fall after deadheading (first round is finishing now)...as a bonus, it has edible leaves. Apparently the French use it as a pot herb: having eaten it, I suspect it is only the very hungry, desperate French who do this. Still, you can dazzle your plot mates with your ethnobotanical knowledge.

Monarda didyma AKA 'Bee Balm'...Flowering now. Name says it all. Also edible, though much in the fashion outlined above.

Agastache rugosa AKA 'Korean Mint'...Just flowering now, and will be for a while. Always has bees on it around here. Again, edible: anisey-licorice taste to the leaves.

4. TimA

TimA Active Member

Thanks Woodschmoe, that's helpful!