Pic of my palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Tom24, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Here is some pics of some of my palms.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP THREW THE YEAR.

Attached Files:

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Nice palms Tom! Looks like you have some Washingtonia robusta on the go there. What are the palms in pics 2 & 3?

Cheers, LPN.

3. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I am not sure what they are exactly.
    Tom24

4. palmera

palmera Active Member

Tom,

Your house looks like mine with pots everywhere! You must not have any cats though, as I have to keep everything out of reach.

5. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

palmera ... dogs are the way to go! Only once as a pup did mine ever disturb a potted plant.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

No I don't have any cats but I do have a cocker spaniel and a bearded dragon I am not to sure what pics 2 and 3 are I am thinking queen palm or king palm and a Dwarf sabel minor palmera what kind of cats do you have? What ages? Here is some more pics for you all. pic 4 is what my washingtonia robusta looks now. pic 1 is my majesty, Pygmy Date Palm, and washingtonia robusta. and pic 3 is my dwarf majesty and my little boy pic 2 is my dog muffy and pic 5 is my bearded dragon chewy.

Attached Files:

7. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

Very nice!

Although I have plants all over the house -- AND 5 cats. They never seem to bother any of my plants.

8. palmera

palmera Active Member

You're lucky DL, my one male cat is really a panther, or so he thinks. He like to hide in my plants and pounce on passers by. He's 10 yrs old but acts like a kitten. My other cat is a small female, 11 yrs old. She stays out of trouble. I am always concerned about toxic plants that may make them sick when eaten so I don't keep plants in the house like poinsettias and many other harmful tropicals.

Here's the panther under my "Xmas tree". Don't ask about the palm, it's a fake!

Attached Files:

9. DandyLioness

DandyLioness Active Member

OMG! He's gorgeous! Reminds me of our black cat, Ramone, who disappeared a few years ago.

I grow Brugmansia - lots of them.... all parts of them are poisonous. I have never had a problem with my cats bothering with them. I always thought that cats had that "street smart" built in where dangerous plants are concerned.

.... I could be wrong tho.

I'm going to show hubby that second pic of your cat... He'll freak out that it looks so much like Ramone!

10. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I think if your cat had a nibble on a brugmansia...it would act like it was having a hallucinogenic trip not necessarily die.

11. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Hi guys and gals I have to sell my 3 year old beardy if anybody is interested. just get back to me. Thank you
    tom24

12. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I have bad news my beardie chewys passed last night he was trying to climb out of his cage and fell and broke his neck. I didn't find him till the morning when it was already to late.

tom 24

13. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That is bad news, tom. He was a cute fellow.

14. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Thank you

15. CSUnger

CSUnger Member

Tom-

I have a question about your Majesty Palm. I have one and on the stems coming up from the base it looks like there is dirt on it and the leaves have a very dull look and rough texture. I have not found any bugs. I moved it outside for about 2 months and it didnt get any better.

Today I removed it from the pot hoping fresh soil and palm food would do some good. I usually feed with fish emulsion (but not the palms). Any idea what could be causing this and what to do? I've been trying to do as much organic as I can, but at this point I'll dose it with agent orange if it will save it ; > )

Thanks!
    Cynthia

16. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

Can you post a pic of your majesty it sounds like it has a bit of potassium deficiency. There is a perfect place to get potassium spikes it is treehelp.com they pretty much have everything you will need and they also have pics of palms with all kinds of deficiency's so you know which one you have.

17. CSUnger

CSUnger Member

Sorry it took so long to get this picture.... I dont want to lose this plant... what should I do??

Attached Files:

18. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I am sorry it took so long to get back. I think you might have a potasuim or magnesium deffeciency. What kind of palm food do you give it? you could also have sun burns on it They are very pickie palms. To me it looks like frizzle top which is potassium deffeciency but when you give your palms a dose of pottasium they will need magnesuim as well a good place to get them both is www.treehelp.com they have stakes that you can give your palms they are relatively cheap and you can buy what you need which is nice. Also make sure you are not watering them too much. There are many sights that tell you the myjestys need alot of water that isn't true maybe if you live in the tropics, they are very hard palms to keep alive I have went through alot of them, so pat yourself on the back for keeping it alive this long.

I hope this helps

Tom