Photo display problems

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by emery, Oct 28, 2015.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hmm, pushed my luck - this one is only showing the first two of four on Firefox.
    West End / Stanley Park
    Chrome was fine, but another posting in that thread didn't show the first photo in Chrome.

2. wcutler

I was going to say that the West End blog might be an extreme case, but this thread only showed me one of four on Chrome.
    Sorry about the poor photos
    I'm not around much for the rest of the day.

3. wcutler

This problem seems to be fixed with the new photo displayer. I did find a single photo that would not display and I was unable to scroll past it in either direction, but I checked several many-photo (10+) postings in the Cherries in Japan thread, and some postings in the West End / Stanley Park blog with many photos, and they all displayed instantly after an initial one-second delay for the first photo.

Now I can't remember if the problems had already stopped before the new changes.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, I hadn't fixed these. It's hard to say. The new style is (was) perhaps making fewer queries, so maybe that is helping.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I just tried it, there was no visible difference for me. The photo display took perhaps 10 seconds, then dropped the first 3 pics. Only some of the remaining pics from the thumbs displayed when scrolling through. Thread was the "Autumn 2016" in the Maple Forum.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ah, that is less surprising to me.

7. wcutler

Oh too bad. I just saw some problems in that thread too, particularly posting #41, and one or two more recent than that, but right after that, they were all fine. Now I've looked at all the photos in every posting with more that three photos in that thread and have not had any problem at all. Even posting #41 photos all displayed when I went back to it, and the most recent postings that had a problem no longer do.

I've been scrolling using the computer arrow button, not clicking the on-screen arrow. Surely that doesn't make a difference? It doesn't make a difference for me right now.
    I'm on a 3-year old laptop with Win 10, have checked with Edge mostly, also with Chrome (for instance, this thread was fine, snappy even, one I have not reviewed recently, not reviewed first in Edge: Wonderful leaf patterns and colours).

8. Daniel Mosquin

No, it is not browser. Server configuration issue that is beyond my ability.

9. wcutler

I just looked at the very many photos in this thread, with 20+ photos per posting:
    Natural beauties from Guangxi, Southern China
    and had a problem with four or five photos; the rest displayed instantly.

That did raise an issue for me, though. Is there no way to get the photo name on the viewer page? Now that we're limited to 10 photos per posting, the issue isn't as bad as here, but first of all, if you're browsing a posting of different plants (as we do in the Talk About UBCBG forum), it would be really helpful to have the names when looking at the large photos (of course, assuming they were named, which they were in this case). But also, in this case, it's difficult to even find a particular photo to get the name, particularly using the Edge browser, which takes me back to the top of the page when I exit the viewer on a posting somewhere down the thread. I'd have to pretend to "save picture as" to get the name. Do you want a separate thread for this request?

10. Daniel Mosquin

Feel free to browse through the plugins, I can't address this until I finish my current project and then do all of my catch-up from ignoring other things while doing that.

11. wcutler

I just figured out how to see the name - by mousing over that Open in New Window arrow at the upper right in the lightbox, the photo file name appears in the URL box at the bottom left corner of the screen. It's a little obscure, but it works for me, now that I figured it out.

Hmm - didn't I request ages ago that that arrow mouseover text be "Open in New Window"? And you changed it from whatever it was? Ages ago? I just realized that. It's totally clear now. Edited - well, I see that it says that on xenForo's forum too, so they must have changed it.

12. Daniel Mosquin

Try now re: image loading?

Made a change to the database server after it crashed last night. It looks to me that the tweak is making all images display (I've tried 5 image-heavy threads so far, no problems--but I rarely had problems from my work computer previously anyway).

I should also mention that this wasn't the next step I was thinking of taking in order to resolve the issue, so if this didn't fix it, no worries.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  13. wcutler

I did eventually run into one image that wouldn't load and stopped the flow on that Guangxi, Southern China page I cited above, but now another strange thing on my computer. After clicking the next photo or previous photo arrow a few times, the arrow disappears, though clicking where it belongs works to advance the photo in either direction. It's the second bizarre thing that happens when I use my mouse that does not happen when I touch the arrow on the touch screen, which I normally never do. So I'm prepared to believe that no-one else will ever see this disappearing-arrow behaviour.

I have had very few display problems lately. I think @AlainK will have to test the photos.

14. Daniel Mosquin

Someone else just reported a slow-loading image on Botany Photo of the Day, so I'd guess it's not resolved. Back to the other plan.

15. Daniel Mosquin

Maybe it's too much to hope for, but try now, Wendy? Or let me know if you see this happening with BPotD.

16. wcutler

Midnight (12:04 or 5), it's slow on BPotD main page. I'm looking back and forth - three photos not loaded yet. I'm finding lots of slow sites though, so I blame Telus for a lot of my problems. Still, it's not different from what I saw before, except there aren't any colour line distortions that I emailed you about. Typed this, then went back, still one photo to load. Read the Magnolia posting, Stanleya photo still not appearing, more than three minutes. But when I clicked on the Stanleya link, opened in a new window, the photos appeared right away. Read the posting, but didn't follow the links, went back to the main site with all the days listed, Stanleya still not there. It's 12:12 now, that one photo is still not there. I refreshed the page and that photo appeared right away. I find that happens on several sites, though, just blank pages till I refresh. I mostly am using the Edge browser, because it corrects my typing, correctly.

17. wcutler

I was going to suggest forcing a refresh on open (somehow avoiding a loop), but when I did a refresh right away, that didn't really get the whole page loaded.
    This morning on the forums, where I have been having minimal problems, except for yesterday where I had trouble in two new postings, I opened a Neighbourhood Blog posting with tons of photos and they were all there instantly.

I tried Chrome browser on BPotD. No difference really. On the main page, reloading didn't make much difference. From that page, where the Nereocystis photo wasn't loading, when I clicked to go to the page, the photo opened there right away.

18. wcutler

Almost midnight Monday night, am on Chrome browser now, since response to everything has been hopeless on Edge*, and on this new thread, only the first of five photos was displaying:
    Tree identification help please
    Now I've come here, typed this, opened that thread in a new window and can see photos 1, 3 and 5. I've spent a bit of time musing about this, feeling bad about always reporting bad news, gone back and still am not getting photos 2 and 4. It's definitely been a minute or two. Then I remembered about refreshing the page - that worked right away.

* Edited - I want to clarify that by "everything" I meant other sites as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  19. Daniel Mosquin

It's ok, I'm glad that it is reliably poor for you, because I know that definitively that it isn't working. When I try at work, I rarely have issues, but at home I will--makes it hard to configure on my own.

Try now?

20. Daniel Mosquin

No need to reply yet, I've found a way I can reliably check (and yes, it is still broken)

21. wcutler

I don't understand why thumbs are not a problem. They always all appear right away, even on pages with hundreds of them. The page has to access its pictures and they're fine; the viewer has to access its pictures and they're flaky. It can't be just the size. I might have said this before, and I apologize if so and if you already gave a reason. Maybe you can come up with a different reason that will lead to something.

I did just have a problem viewing Mariko's six new photos, but now that I've gone back and viewed everything in one of her older postings, the new posting was fine. Chrome browser.

22. Daniel Mosquin

Hard to explain the issue other than the small file sizes rarely cause a problem because they transfer and close quicker. We're looking at a configuration on multiple firewalls being the issue; we've resolved the ones under our control (which seems to have improved things), now we're waiting on the University to do theirs if it is possible.

23. wcutler

Today was the first time that I saw an oddity I saw once on another xenForo site, one that the owner had asked people to comment on. Mariko added 10 photos to this earlier posting. As I kept clicking photos in the viewer trying to get them to appear, one of the photos (the second one) disappeared from the thumbs at the bottom of the viewer. That was one of the photos I could not get to expand. The other site did not have photos that would not expand.
    Here are the thumbs when I clicked on one of the photos.
    Mariko_10photos_Cutler.jpg
    Here they are a few rounds later, when I was still trying to see the second photo.
    Mariko_9photos_Cutler.jpg

Leaving the viewer and going back in restores all the thumbs.

24. Daniel Mosquin

We remain waiting on the University.

25. Daniel Mosquin

Ok, now give it a go--the folks at the University have done their stuff. My short test had a 100% success rate with displaying images (I use the "display full-size images" in the Vancouver Trees app and scroll through, some take a second or so to load, but they all did this past time)