Phaelenopsis problems - help!

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by willvl, Jul 20, 2006.

1. willvl

willvl Member

just wondering if anyone can offer any advice.. i was given my orchid a year ago and it flowered well last summer. when the flowers died i cut the flowering stems back and this year there are no signs of it flowering.

further to this, none of the aerial roots are fleshy any more and i'm losing as many leaves as it grows - they just turn yellow and fall off. i know that they maintain roughly the same number of leaves, but with the lack of flowering and woody roots i am starting to worry.

all my other orchids are fine (although i will admit they are different breeds - zygopelatum and another i haven't yet identified)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

See this thread on Phaelenopsis care. Not all orchids prefer the same growing environment, so what works for some genera or species will not necessarily work for others.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I'm just trouble-shooting here, but what is the potting medium like? Sometimes it starts to break down, not be as airy and fast-draining, and becomes almost like soil. The roots can start to rot in it. Puts your plant in a perpetual state of over-watering, as the medium never dries out. Just a thought without taking a look at it...