Peas not training well

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by emptyR, May 30, 2006.

1. emptyR

emptyR Member

I have, planted in a box, some peas (not sure of scientific name, or hybrid, but standard shucking spring peas).

I am having difficulty training them to climb up the apparatus built for them.

It is fairly simple, it is just cotton cooking twine between pieces of wood. But the runners do not seem to be grasping on to them to pull up. I have repeatedly attempted to train by either laying them across the strings, or actually gently wrapping around, but they do not seem to be taking.

will peas not climb the cotton trelis? Is it that, or do I have exceptionally stubborn peas?

thank you in advance.

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

Peas have tendrils (modified leaves) which grasp onto structures and allow the plant to climb. In garden peas it is the terminal leaflets (at the tip of the plant) that are modified to become tendrils. There is no reason why your plant should not grow up your cotton trellis. Be sure that the strings are tied tightly between the wood and perhaps use a few twist ties to make a loop around the stems and the string to encourage growth up the trellis. Be sure the loop does not constrict the stem in any way. Good luck.

Raakel